Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

If you need more volume, I also have a spare 120g with stand kicking around that you can borrow.

Anthony
Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

I agree isolating a few corals in another tank may lead to new theories here. Such a beautiful tank you had...I'm rooting for you.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:03 PM

niloc16 is on a distinguished road

WOW. deja vu. i really know where youre coming from on this one jason. i'm really sorry to hear about this, although i know that doesnt help. i'm trying to think outside the box here on this one, who is the manufacturer of your tank? and what about your tank brad? my tank seemd to go for crap at the 2 year point as well and still had not bloody clue what caused it. i'm wondering if there is something funky with the silicone used for the tank that began to leach something. i know it sounds extreme but just an idea. my tank was a seastar tank so i'm curious if manufacturers were the same.

my tank setup
Old 07-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Colin, my tanks have all been Seastar, they use the GE 1200 silicone, well used in the industry. Don't think it's that.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Thanks All. My Tank is Seastar as well. Something else I noticed as kind of Odd. I've had a sudden explosion of coraline algae. My tank never used to get coraline growth now I'm scraping it off everything

J
Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

That sucks, sorry to hear about your losses. I've lost a few corals before that have done well for years then all of a sudden they shrivel up and start to die. It's really frustrating watching a coral die that did so well for so long especially when you can't figure out why and nothing you try helps.

I wonder if there is something to the build up of gunk in the sand bed, or perhaps some corals need something from the ocean that our tanks can't give them and that has something to do with it. Not really sure but I thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
. I've had a sudden explosion of coraline algae. My tank never used to get coraline growth now I'm scraping it off everything

J
Maybe due to the extra nutrients from die off?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:35 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
Thanks All. My Tank is Seastar as well. Something else I noticed as kind of Odd. I've had a sudden explosion of coraline algae. My tank never used to get coraline growth now I'm scraping it off everything

J
Hummm, I wonder, we started to use a calcium reactor (about 3 months ago) because we wanted more coraline growth. Within the last few weeks I've finally noticed more coraline, right about at the same time my yellow tree coral (which was huge and had been doing well for the past 3 years) started shriveling up and dying. No idea if it's connected or not but I think I'll take my calcium reactor off line and see if it makes a difference or not. Are you running one?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:52 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

If I'm dealing with similar problems, it can't be silicon since my tank is acrylic.

I can't blame the Ca reactor because mine has been shut down for months now. The tank stopped using ca/alk to the point where only a bit of Kalk is required for Ca/Alk levels.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 07-03-2009, 04:31 PM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

I took my CA reactor off line in April and started using a 2 part dosing system. But that has been off for 1.5 months because my tank isn't using CA or Alk. Like Brad

J