Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24storm View Post
Have you compared it to a test kit? Are you getting the same reading you did before you got the monitor?

Do you leave yours in the tank all the time. I know the directions say not to but i have spoke to American marine and they say it is fine to leave it in.
My test kit readings were about ~ 1.5x what the PP says.
No, I don't leave the probe in. Would like to. If they says it's okay then....but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
...... The replacement probe costs $200 so paperweight it stays for now.

Think Hanna makes a colorimeter for nitrates but don't get me started on the PO4 version. Hated that thing too. .....
Yikes! $200. I didn't know that. I think I'll use mine only when I test. (ie: not in the tank all the time).
I have a Hanna PO4 as well, and ya, I'm not a big fan. It's the opposite of the PP NO3 in that it says my PO4 is through the roof. They say to shake the sample gently. Define gently. Even if I don't shake it at all, it still reads about 6x what I think it should/want it to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuGlu6 View Post
x2
And you have to calibrate too, takes as much time as testisng... so whats the point spending so much?
See post #1. For me, I couldn't stand trying to differentiate between colour shades on the colour chart of test kits anymore. At least with the PP it tells me what it thinks the level is to +/- 1ppm, instead of me trying to figure out what I think the level is based on a stupid colour chart with a high range between colours.

Cheers,