Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 AM

Red Deer Reptiles is on a distinguished road

just wondering this is going to be a sw setup right? did they drill holes aswell. if so what did it cost for the whole package??
Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Well the issue turned out to be roots in the drain pipe, the result of it not having been cleaned in a very long time. It cost us $50 to have a company come out and clean the line. The guy said that he could only make it 70 of the 90 ft because the root system that had developed were too difficult for his machine. He made some changes and pushed through the last 20 ft eventually.

The basement was under 3" of water total, and we couldn't use any drains or the toilets for most of yesterday. Its all cleaned up now, but there is damage to most of the walls, the old front door that was stored in the basement, as well as all my laundry. I took photos and now we need to inform our insurance and then make a decision as to if we should make a claim or not.

After the cleaning and before the plumber showed, the drain is still under 3" of water

This morning

The new reactor

Top down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Reptiles View Post
just wondering this is going to be a sw setup right? did they drill holes aswell. if so what did it cost for the whole package??
I'm confused by your questions. What are you asking me about, the existing 180g or the new system? Our current system is completely DIY, so we did all the work ourselves.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:34 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Gawd Catherine! Sorry to hear the new house is turning into the "money pit". Did the doctors know why you were so sick?(pm me) Just wondering if perhaps the drain was an ongoing problem in the house. If there was water damage to the drywall before you bought the house Im sure it was painted over and the previous owner did his/her best to hide it. Maybe there is mold in the walls that caused you to get so sick, is what Im getting at.
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 01-02-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm just unlucky when it comes to getting sick. I only ever get sick about once every 3-5 years, and when I get sick, I get really sick. Although I think this is the longest to date I've ever been so ill. I had a cold, then I caught the flu, and then I caught the stomach bug while I had the flu. Oh...yeah I have a cough, its free to a home, any home, want to adopt? I'll even let you hear it it all its seal-like glory tomorrow.

There didn't seem to be any water damage before the first flood, when the tank emptied itself onto the floor. Who knows though right? Its coming down anyways now.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:14 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

Man, what rotten luck. I hope things get bet for you soon Catherine. Get well, take care of yourself.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:21 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Catherine put the claim in for the amount of 500 i think is the claim amount or lower you will have the reno company come in clean all the water damage and re build everything that got wet i did it here and it work ed great back in 2001 the water came up thru the drain and it was on the city's side. if you have trees around your place if they are on your side then its your fault and the insurance wont cover it. if its on city property then its their falut they take over the expense.

if the roots are on city property then they will paid to get this done every 3 months and you just pay up front and they will cut the money back to you..
Old 01-02-2009, 05:32 PM

Well I did call insurance and the lady was as dumb as a rock. I'm waiting until Monday when our broker is back to work. Our deductable is $1000, and we don't think there is that much damage. However I did take a lot of photos, and we've already cleaned up most everything. I guess we'll figure it out on Monday if it worth it to move forwards with a claim or not.

We just looked out the window and our neighbor has a plumber over right now....hmm I wonder if everyone is having issues?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:57 PM

robzilla is on a distinguished road

Roots in the drain pipe? does this mean the line running to the city line is broken? how did the roots get in there? it might cause another problem down the road.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Well the issue turned out to be roots in the drain pipe, the result of it not having been cleaned in a very long time. It cost us $50 to have a company come out and clean the line. The guy said that he could only make it 70 of the 90 ft because the root system that had developed were too difficult for his machine. He made some changes and pushed through the last 20 ft eventually.

The basement was under 3" of water total, and we couldn't use any drains or the toilets for most of yesterday. Its all cleaned up now, but there is damage to most of the walls, the old front door that was stored in the basement, as well as all my laundry. I took photos and now we need to inform our insurance and then make a decision as to if we should make a claim or not.

After the cleaning and before the plumber showed, the drain is still under 3" of water

This morning

The new reactor

Top down

I'm confused by your questions. What are you asking me about, the existing 180g or the new system? Our current system is completely DIY, so we did all the work ourselves.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

WHAT a good looking reactor. Kudos to the clearly very talented person who built that thing.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:52 PM

These colonies came from Red Coral here in town.

The Pine-Sol we're chatting about is Revive by Two Little Fishies.

The reactor is awesomely huge. Possibly big enough to run the large system for awhile when its lightly stocked.

About the drain, I don't know, our house is from the late 50s, and I'm pretty clueless about this drain line business. I think it needs to be investigated further so we know what to expect down the road, or if we have to start gearing up to do a replacement this summer.