Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

View Poll Results: Which is the better option per price?
JBJ Auto Top Off 2 25.00%
Tunze Osmolator Auto Top Off 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2008, 07:21 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairytank View Post
I have a tunze and it is great! Easy to set up and yes it came with a pump.
The only downside is the price, but for the peace of mind it was worth it.
Price isn't to bad considering you get the pump.. I'd have to buy one for the JBJ..

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-19-2008, 07:43 PM

str255 is on a distinguished road

ditto ...

I've had an osmo for 2+ years ... very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason McK View Post
I didn't vote because I've never used the JBJ. I Love the Tunze I've had it running for about 5 years and it's going stronge. Never replaced the pump. But I might have to soon

J
Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 PM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I love my osmolator and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like the multiple fail-safes like the electronic eye backed-up by the overflow float valve, and also the ten-minute time limit on the pump. I was lucky enough to get it used so it didn't cost me all that much.

You can prevent it from popping on frequently if the chamber it sits in has more surface area since it would take more evaporation to affect the chamber's water level. The electronic eye is very sensitive!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
I love my osmolator and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like the multiple fail-safes like the electronic eye backed-up by the overflow float valve, and also the ten-minute time limit on the pump. I was lucky enough to get it used so it didn't cost me all that much.

You can prevent it from popping on frequently if the chamber it sits in has more surface area since it would take more evaporation to affect the chamber's water level. The electronic eye is very sensitive!

I like those fail safes.. Especially that 10min time limit.. That might be what sways me over to the Tunze.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-19-2008, 08:18 PM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road

I have had the tunze for 5 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love the optical sensor it won't foul like a float switch. The secondary float switch is a perfect for peace of mind. My pump called it quits a year or so ago but I just replaced it with a low voltage sump pump from princess auto which works perfect.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 PM

jasond is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post

Good idea, only problem with my set up is the sump is 4 compartments that are all the same size, nice thinking though. I didnt know about the ten minute timer, that's a bonus!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:59 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road

I have a Tunze osmolator, I am happy with it, there are a few issues to be aware of though.

One is the electronics are a little delicate, I fried one osmolator doing something innocent a few years ago - plugged in another item into the powerbar which made a spark and blew the circuit, everything else on that circuit was fine but the osmolator was shot.

A couple of times my unit has stopped working because the optical sensor head got covered with precipitated salt/calcium buildup. You are supposed to clean the optical sensor with vinegar every few months, make sure and do this before going away on vacation.

Overall it is a good unit, keep the level very well, worked well with a kalk reactor in series when I used to use a kalk reactor.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 PM

Pescador is on a distinguished road

If you can handle a little fluctuation in your water level (up to an inch) I've been using the Tsunami AT1 for 7 years never had a problem. Actually never even clean it.
The SpectraPure version says it only varies the level 1/4".
They get pretty good reviews on R/C.
Tsunami AT-1 and SpectraPure controller both use air pressure to activate and deactivate an outlet.
Just don't trust the suction cups, I made a mount from a MJ bracket.
110g mangrove refug/sump
Poison Dart Frog Vivarium