Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 AM

The-new-guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
Oh, I think I should respond to this... Flatworm exit is intrisically safe (I've used it numerous times without a single unexpected loss) for everything but the flatworms. The problem arrises with the death of the flatworms.

The 10g when I first treated (2005?); had a horrid infestation - water turned orange almost immediately.... I don't follow directions; kinda ignored that part about turkey baster/powerheads/ getting out as many as possible. Carbon in a AC300 and 2x 80% w/c's was easily able to keep things in check. No losses, and if I recall I was amazed at the pod population explosion after.

Just retreated my 65g last week; didn't spend any time trying to get out the flatworms I could... Guessed at a volume of 100g total (closer to 80ish), doubled the dose - cuz I'm sick of treating this tank for flatworms... No issues 30g w/c after, used a filter sock on one of the sump returns filled with carbon to remove as much as possible.

And thanks for reminding me - I'm gonna go dose the 65g again to make sure I got em all :P
+1

I have used exit a few times with no problems. My 6 line ( the only fish in the tank) did not miss a beat. The tank only has soffties and LPS in it but all opened up that day and the days to follow. Just run carbon after.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Do you have a phosban reactor or something similar that you are running on the tank? You could just swap out the other media for carbon, its far more effective that way anyways (as opposed to just sitting in a media bag).

PS I've been battling planaria for years and never wanted to use flatworm exit, especially with plague proportions of flatworms. Sometimes though you just end up with no other choice.