Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-23-2008, 01:53 PM
brandy

Default Newbie need help - Flow Question.

Hi all:
Anyone could help me on this please, thanks in advance.
My tank is reef tank (meant to be) about Main: 170G with sump: 40G
I have 3 return, with height and lenght of hoses, return flow rate about: 165 GPH each. I put 2 of Koralia3 (850GPH) in the maintank for flow. So total flows are about:
3x 165GPH = 495 GPH for water turnover. Plus
2x850GPH flows circulation.

I just wonder is the flow rate in my system too low or too high? - Also, how do you recommend for: Water turnover rate and flow rate in the reef tank? - What are the recommendation for those, I mean...

Sorry if my question is not really clear and make sense. But that all I can think of to put into words.

Thank you all in advance.

*Remember I had a question about some aptasia and bad hickhikers? - Those rock now are in seperate tank with some Berghia working hard on cleaning the estate now, hehehe... Look prety fun when they are "at work"
Old 08-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Brandy, it's a tough question to answer, mostly dependant on your tank. If it's a softie or LPS tank, and the flow moves all the polyps around (for feeding/cleaning) AND the flow keeps the detritus suspended long enough for the filtration to remove it, you're probably OK. But, on average, for a 170g system, I'd say it may not be enough flow. IMO, a koralia 3 is good for a 20g reef, not something your size.
If it were me, I would have minimum 600gph per return line and at least 1600gph from each power head.
Well, for me as an SPS keeper, I'd have way more than that (last tank was 75g, about 8000gph total flow)
But, as I said, evaluate the behaviours above and see if the flow is currently doing what it should.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 PM

jpdutton is on a distinguished road

I would suggest you upgrade the return. I don't know what your drains can handle but you want to target 10x tank volume per hour through the Sump. With this target you get good aeration, good flow which will help with keeping the detritus suspended (as mentioned by Aquattro)

So you should be looking at 1700 gph return, after that you can check the need for additional flow from powerheads.

Wavysea's and Seaswirls are nice attachment for flow from the returns.
PS4 Return -PCI Chiller - WavySea
2 x Tunze 6101
H&S A150-2001
2 x Deltec Reactors Carbon/Phosban
Profilux Plus II
Old 08-23-2008, 02:17 PM
brandy

Thanks.
Currently, I have nothing inthere yet. Actually, only LR: 200#, LS: 2" and 2 clown (got from a friend, didn't buy though) And my tank is planning to be sps with some carpet and soft (very few just for those fish to get hosted)
The size of the display section is about: 54Lx30Wx25H.
The return was 3 of the ViaAqua 306 (originally 526GPH) but with the hieght iit drived up to main tank, I extimated about 165GPH at the outputs.
Hope this will roughly give you the picture of my tank. Thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 02:23 PM
brandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdutton View Post
I would suggest you upgrade the return. I don't know what your drains can handle
My drain (2 Big drains) built in with builtin overflow, it will drain as much as any exceeded water in the main tank. So, I guess the option is to update the returns pumps. What is your suggestion for those pump to get enough power but not much the "humming" noices though.

Thanks alot for all your helps...
Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

If you're going SPS, you don't have enough flow. I'd look at bigger return if your overflows can handle it, then inside, look at Tunze solutions (Streams, Wavebox, etc) or Vortecs. The koralias won't be enough.
The issue with SPS is that they require higher flow to purge slime build up, and their growth becomes very "spindley" without sufficient water movement.

Jaws has a couple of Stream 6060's posted for sale right now, I recall. I'd go with 6100's, but that drives the cost up.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 PM

jpdutton is on a distinguished road

A sequence snapper would give you 1900gph at 4'

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=wp-seq00
PS4 Return -PCI Chiller - WavySea
2 x Tunze 6101
H&S A150-2001
2 x Deltec Reactors Carbon/Phosban
Profilux Plus II
Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Hey Brandy, being a self-described newbie I'm wondering (no offense intended) if you are aware how much it will cost you to setup a 170g SPS tank successfully? You're looking at a house down payment.

You're going to need a bigger sump to handle the flow, a bigger return pump, bigger powerheads, and a Wavemaker would be a great idea. Not to mention a mass of other equipment you haven't mentioned (lights, reactors, skimmer, etc). Being a newbie, I would suggest you try your hand at a much smaller SPS tank, and see if you have the knack for it to begin with. Try a 75g or something like that.

Jmo...

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 08-23-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:27 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdutton View Post
A sequence snapper would give you 1900gph at 4'

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ct_ID=wp-seq00

I'm all for flow through a sump but 1900gph at a 40g...
Old 08-24-2008, 12:52 AM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Try a 75g or something like that.

Jmo...
What do you think a 75G with a 54G (actual tank size) would require for a moderate SPS system (mixed with softies)

I think my current system is around 2200-2300gph.. (total flow) return is something like 550-600, then 2 K3's.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988