Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-22-2008, 04:33 AM

salmon46 is on a distinguished road
Cool 90gal setup

After reading threads, articles, books, etc, I am ready to convert my tank for FOWLR. Here is what I have today

90gal tank
2128 Eheim filter
Eheim Pro III filter
25W UV hookup to my 2128
Stealth Heater 250W

So far, I have decided to go sumpless and go with Tunze 9010, and for lighting, I recently purchased Coralife Aqualight Pro Metal Halide 150W(2). I plan to keep dwarf angels, shrimp, snails, tangs - welcome other fish recommendations.

Still have the following decisions to make

1. Should I go BB or go with 1 inch of substrate? The LFS guy suggested I go with live sand & sugar aragonite.
2. Should I reuse my 2128 eheim w/ UV for carbon filtration only w/o filter media?
3. Should I reuse my Eheim Pro III for water circulation? Or should I purchase those Hydor Koralia, Tunze or breakout the piggy bank & go for those Vortech water pumps?
4. Where is good place to purchase LR in Vancouver? Prices and quality seems to vary from stores I visited so far.
5. Do I need to get another heater as backup? Tank will reside in the main living room where it averages about 23C.

the joys of setting up a tank
Old 04-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Hi Ben,
Welcome to Canreef.

I would base my decision on using sand, from what livestock I wished to keep and research. Most stores suggest using sand, as they sell it. If I added sand, I would use a combination of fine and some a bit more larger, around 2mm or so. Ok to mix a bit of live in also, but find some decently clean live sand and not filled with crap like we used to think was good to add.

A heater set just below is a desired temp, is good for keeping the temp from dropping in a cold spell or when the house heat is set lower. I run a 200w & 125W in my 90 but only the 200 is required.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 PM

ShrimSkin is on a distinguished road

I bought my liverock from J&L. At the time they had the best price (don't know if that still holds true). They had a huge selection for me to pick from.

Searching LFS's for your stuff is always exciting!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM

salmon46 is on a distinguished road
Default 90 gal setup

Thanks for guidance/inputs. Keeping them coming. I am trying to soak it all up

Also love to hear from anyone using eheim filters & UV and what their experience have been like.