Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 02-20-2008, 11:37 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

PC's are also much more expensive to replace, and you have to replace them every 6 months, whereas t5's cost less and last longer (people have said anywhere from 8 months to 24 months, but I would stick with 8 months imho). t5's are more around the 20 or so dollar range and pc's in the 50 dollar range.

An example in my own personal experience is that I have grown softies, as well as monti digi and birdsnest (which are some of the easier sps), stylophora (just starting to color up again after a partial bleach) and have a gbta as well under my pc lighting in my 48g bow. Why would I want to change my lighting to t5 (and I would like to)
-bulbs last longer
-bulbs cost less
-more light output
-better reflectors
-cooler running, which means cooler tank (then I would not need to run a fan every time my 10ks come on)
-looks nice
-don't have to have the fixture right on my tank to get the penetration I need...which would also keep it cooler in the tank
-sps does not have to be as high on the rockwork to live and color up nicely as it would under pc's
Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 PM

forgot to add:
-more choices in bulb color
-not having to swear when the pins get stuck and break the whole dang bulb making it useless for re-use in other setups where bulb age doesn't matter (hypothetical fowlr, my cichlid tank, etc)
-more flexibility: people have had both sps and clams under t5 successfully
-nice even spread of light (less dark spots)
-if you change your mind and put mh on later you might be able to re-use these for supplemental lighting
-just look at some of the success these bulbs have had over some of the european setups, these definitely give mh a run for their money (seeing those pics is one of the things that really won me over on the t5's)

And as a last side note some of the folks on canreef run t5's. I know mr.alberta does and he could tell you all about it.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:57 PM

and lastly....
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/totm/index.php
Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 AM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road

I have the bow front 72...and I would never give up my 2 MH 250watt bulbs, great light output....plus I grow SPS on the bottom of the tank.
Heat has been eliminated with 2 small 4" fans, no problems.

P.S
I even have a completely sealed hood over my tank.....the 2 fans make quick work of the heat. I do have a chiller but its not even plugged in during the winter months....I of course have to use it in the summer when the room is over 90 degrees.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 02-21-2008, 12:06 AM

As another plus for the mH, if you upgrade your tank you are less likely to need to upgrade your lighting. You know for sure you can grow whatever you may want under mH.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:55 AM

jslaney is on a distinguished road
Default Same setup

Thanks for asking this question as I have the exact same setup and was wondering the same thing.

I also have a 4' CF light strip that I will be supplementing with iether a clip on or pendent 150W MH.

I dont expect to be able to grow sps every where in my tank but I think it should be addequate for most LPS.

After reading everyones replys I am thinking of maybe switching my CF to T5.

I will have to see how easy it would be to modify the current CF light strip I have.

I think at least one metal halide is important due to that really cool shimering effect it gives.

Good luck and post what you finally decide as I would like to see what you chose.

Jon.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Whatigot is on a distinguished road

so many choices...
I have a question though based on what I've just read...
Is it really that beneficial to add actinic lighting to a 14k MH setup or is it a choice that is more based on the appearance?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 AM

TNTCanada is on a distinguished road

I have 2X250 MH 10,000k and 2 T5 Actinics on my 72 Bow... works well for me...
72g Bowfront Drilled,Lighting,2x250 10,000k MH,2 actinic T5,2/6" fans,2MJ with 1600gph convertions kits,Bullet 2 style skimmer with Mak 4,29g sump/Refugium,96W power compacts in sump, Velocity T4 Titanium "return",Life Guard 300 Fluidize bed filter,1"sand bed, 29g auto top off, 140lb LR,SPS,LPS,Softies,Zoos,2Percula Clowns, 2yellow tail Damsels,1yellow tang,2cleaner shrimp, 1six line Wrass,2 Bengaii Cardinal,1lawnmower Blenny,1sand sifting star,1TigerTailCucumber, snails,hermit crabs,Macros.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:54 AM

From what I have heard the actinic supplemental is more for us people. It is also really nice if you want to do a dawn dusk cycle. For instance I intend to put either 14k or even 20k mh on my 120 (planning) --I think the blue really looks good is why--but I will still most likely have a supplemental t5 bar because I really like the dusk/dawn, plus I can put in purple too if I want and have the colors pop. Plus I think it may give the corals a chance to get used to there being a light on instead of flick instant sun overhead. That could just be my adding a human element to it, though , lol

Quote:
so many choices...
I have a question though based on what I've just read...
Is it really that beneficial to add actinic lighting to a 14k MH setup or is it a choice that is more based on the appearance?