Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-01-2010, 10:55 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
I got rid of my cyano easily by vacumnng with everything off, I cut my lights back 2hs and added 2 koralia2's aimed at the worse areas no probs I left it like that and changed my water schedule to 5% every 3days and wala

I had to do a blackout when I had a bad algae bloom a few years ago same thing usd blankets because even ambiant light will help it I also used weiss algae remover gone in a few days not sure if it's safe to use with reefs though
I do completely vacuum out the cyano every week, and aimed my powerheads at the problem spots, but it just always comes back in a new spot, and gets worse each week.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 PM

MitchM is on a distinguished road

Hmmm,

Post your water parameters, a picture of your display tank, sump and/or filtration setup, maybe answer a few more questions..and I guarantee that the people and combined knowledge on this board can solve the problem for you.
Money back guarantee.

Mitch
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 PM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

I feel bad for the guy, was hoping to see a response back from him but here goes nothing.

This is the problem with this hobby. And I have been through dinos, and cyano. It's a headache but you can get through it. Like mentioned previously, ditch the fluval and move to a aquaclear. Also, wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your rock work, and how the power heads are set up.

You can get through this. Star with the mentioned about and turn off your lights, put a blanket over the tank for 3days and start dozing kz coral snow every day. This has been the most effective way for me and works like a charm.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:29 AM

Atomikk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobytron View Post
thats cuz its an old, old issue from when these first came out.

one that was addressed by Hydor years ago.
Actually it wasn't addressed years ago. We spoke to the reps last year at MACNA regarding this, and they assured us that the newer models will not have this seal problem.

Older models just have this issue. I know numerous people that have reported this problem. So this is not an isolated case where the pump has a breached seal.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

if they assured you the new models are not going to have this problem then i would consider it addressed unless your wanting them to do a re-call??
Old 09-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Seth72 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWorldAquatic View Post
Canister filters are breeding ground for Bacteria because of all the Nitrates it can hold.

Also changing the lights may add to your problem too, new lights still require a short break in time.

If you have an outbreak of algae it usually indicates that there is a source of nitrates or phosphates. Often this is caused by over feeding. However, there could be many other sources. Look for dirt traps in the filtration system, low grades of carbon in use, and the foods your using.

Don't assume that because your readings for nitrate and/or phosphate are low that you do not have a problem. Often algaes can absorb these quickly, so the water reads good and the algae grow well.

Chemiclean is used only as a last resort. regular water changes, less light, more water flow, and siphoning out the cyno would help.

Here is a link that might help http://other-invertebrates.suite101...._cyanobacteria

Ken - BWA
Would really aggresive skimming fix that....i havent bought a skimmer yet,but i was reading somewhere that I should buy a skimmer rated for twice the size of my water volume.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:17 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

Mines are Koralia Evolution so I guess they are OK since they are the new generation of pumps.

Still not cool. I don't have the budget for a MP20...maybe later on.

that hobby is a money pit

Quote:
if they assured you the new models are not going to have this problem then i would consider it addressed unless your wanting them to do a re-call??
Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 AM

Captainhemo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth72 View Post
Would really aggresive skimming fix that....i havent bought a skimmer yet,but i was reading somewhere that I should buy a skimmer rated for twice the size of my water volume.
Yup, a skimmer will only help. Get the best skimmer you can afford
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

Freerider, you still with us??? Lots of good advice here but you don't have to get rid of your Fluval. Like someone else asked, what are you running for media inside it? I run one also on my 20 gallon but it's gutted. Bottom tray holds carbon, the rest is full of live rock. I had a massive cyano outbreak 2 summers ago and it was due to experimenting with tap water. Make sure the RO water you are getting is true RO. Everything came out of my tank and got scrubbed with salt water, filled with new RO water and I didn't have a problem again.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 PM

Atomikk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The problem is addressed with new models, not old. So the issues with older Koralias still persitst. There isn't a need for a recall, as I am sure it would be too costly for Hydor to do. It is a lot easier to market the newer pumps, and make more sales this way.