Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Since we're on the subject I'm more into the coral, fish are just there for some movement and they require too much attention with the feeding and.. well just the feeding but that can still be a chore. The way I see it a fish is a fish, for the most part easily replaceable and a dime a dozen, not really a collectors item. Coral can sometimes be one in a million and is definitely more of a collectors item. Yes they do have rare fish that are hard to get but for the most part you can always get them and they will always be the same.

I would definitely go with coral over fish. In the future I would really like to have a coral tank with only self sustaining fish and coral. You know a couple mandarins, pair of tilefish, nothing special
Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Since we're on the subject I'm more into the coral, fish are just there for some movement and they require too much attention with the feeding and.. well just the feeding but that can still be a chore. The way I see it a fish is a fish, for the most part easily replaceable and a dime a dozen, not really a collectors item. Coral can sometimes be one in a million and is definitely more of a collectors item. Yes they do have rare fish that are hard to get but for the most part you can always get them and they will always be the same.

I would definitely go with coral over fish. In the future I would really like to have a coral tank with only self sustaining fish and coral. You know a couple mandarins, pair of tilefish, nothing special
Sounds like it would be a nice tank!

I guess it depends on how you look at it...I don't see the hobby as collecting items like you would hockey cards or stamps. To me these are pets and when it comes to my puffers, more like family Not replaceable at all. I lost my dogface to jumping a few months back and did get another but its just not the same at all. Personality of the two fish is quite different. I have lost tangs and "replaced" them though and barely knew the difference.

Actually I guess I kind of see things completely opposite of you Corals are easily replaceable to me!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

No need for wars here. Thanks for the update sphelps.

Re: who adds to finding out the care of our fish/coral inverts
scientists, experts, hobbyists may I give you an example.

I want to set up a tank housing only florescent corals.
From marine scientists I now know that the degree of florescense its determined (apart from enviromental conditions) by the genes of the LPS. I have to find them by night diving.
From lighting scientists (not vendors) I am determining the specific lighting conditions that cause optimum florescence; lighting, depth of tank etc. Really heavy stuff.
Scientists announced in September that they had found that some 20 or so fish are florescent. This is new information.
When I have all this information, I will set up the tank.
When and if successful, I will share the information on this board. Hopefully I can corral a tank photographer to take pictures.
(If you want to get an idea of what I am striving for turn off all the tank lights and the lights in the room and shine a LED light [from a penlite or the lighters that have an LED light on them on your coral]

You can see than that it is the scientists and experts that contribute the expertise. All I as a hobbyist is doing is starting the ball rolling and hopefully sharing my experience here.
To the poster who asked, I have had a marine tank since around 1987ish.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So am I still cruel? Or are we all over that? I'm a little confused with all this talk about scientists and biologists
You bought a fish that you researched first and provided it with the the best case scenario for optimal survival and longevity. If that makes you cruel then I'm crazy!

Wait, maybe I shouldn't go there...
Old 11-13-2008, 11:25 PM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
No need for wars here. Thanks for the update sphelps.

Re: who adds to finding out the care of our fish/coral inverts
scientists, experts, hobbyists may I give you an example.

I want to set up a tank housing only florescent corals.
From marine scientists I now know that the degree of florescense its determined (apart from enviromental conditions) by the genes of the LPS. I have to find them by night diving.
From lighting scientists (not vendors) I am determining the specific lighting conditions that cause optimum florescence; lighting, depth of tank etc. Really heavy stuff.
Scientists announced in September that they had found that some 20 or so fish are florescent. This is new information.
When I have all this information, I will set up the tank.
When and if successful, I will share the information on this board. Hopefully I can corral a tank photographer to take pictures.
(If you want to get an idea of what I am striving for turn off all the tank lights and the lights in the room and shine a LED light [from a penlite or the lighters that have an LED light on them on your coral]

You can see than that it is the scientists and experts that contribute the expertise. All I as a hobbyist is doing is starting the ball rolling and hopefully sharing my experience here.
To the poster who asked, I have had a marine tank since around 1987ish.
Thanks for answering that I was just curios.
I do appreciate the knowledge you bring to the board.
can't wait to see that tank when you get it up. I would even be willing to take the pictures for you.
Cheers
Old 11-13-2008, 11:53 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin65 View Post
Thanks for answering that I was just curios.
I do appreciate the knowledge you bring to the board.
can't wait to see that tank when you get it up. I would even be willing to take the pictures for you.
Cheers

Thanks. I will take your offer up when I am ready.
Do you think you can borrow Sphelps' camera?
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 AM

Marlin65 is on a distinguished road

He is to far away, but my camera is not too bad.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:16 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
FWIW I think it's a beautiful fish and a LUCKY one at that, most don't go into the proper setup and starve, sphelps' can actually feed it

I love my corals but I don't kid myself that they have much feeling - or I wouldn't be able to live with myself when I cut them up and glue them to rocks!! If it came to choosing between the fish and the coral I'd sacrifice the coral.

Edit: I feel the need to add that I look at my tank to look at the corals more often than the fish, watching them grow makes me happy, but I cater to the welfare of the fish first and foremost because they actually have feelings - make sense?
Old 11-14-2008, 03:18 AM

2manytanks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
Edit: I feel the need to add that I look at my tank to look at the corals more often than the fish, watching them grow makes me happy, but I cater to the welfare of the fish first and foremost because they actually have feelings - make sense?
Perfectly. Well expressed and exactly how I feel.

210g reef
Old 11-15-2008, 12:03 AM

WuHT is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Corals look the same to me.

I suppose this is the difference between a pet owner and a gardener.