Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2016, 08:00 AM

Reefmagic is on a distinguished road
Post Starting off a salt water aquarium help!!

Hey guys,

I have been a lover of fish from the day i can remember my dad buying our first fish tank and seeing all them beautiful fish swimming around it was mesmerizing. Then as soon as i moved out i went and got a fresh water aquarium which is very easy to look after with a beautiful variety of fish. Now i want to get serious and have a little ocean in my front room but i have been looking into the up keep of the saltwater aquariums and it is a lot more difficult. I have been searching online looking for saltwater aquariums for sale and found quite a few but i don't know where to start when it comes to sizes well just about everything. I have done some research my side and been to the local aquatic center found out about the different saltwater tests and prices of fish ect but that's about it. i will throw a few questions down see what you come up with guys.

1. Does the size of the tank matter? keeping the PH levels under control?
2. How long should i let the tank pump the water through the pump before adding fish?
3. Maybe a few good fish/coral to start with
4. And the maintenance how many hours a day/week do you spend on cleaning out, changing water etc ???

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys