Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Animal-Chin is on a distinguished road

I had a horrible QT experience. About a year and a half ago my tank got velvet. WIPED out my entire livestock in 5 days, brutal. I let my display go fallow for 2 months and while doing that I set up a 20 gallon long QT. Had a HOB filter, live rock and a Hydor pump for flow. Put in a clay pot for hiding. Pretty much followed every instruction on line I could find. Let the QT cycle and bought my first fish, a baby regal tang.

Regal tang hated the QT. Never got it to eat and it died.

Bought a schooling banner fish. It came in with ich, great so I medicated with some stuff I got at oceanic and got rid of the ich. Fish never made it though, died shortly after the ich was gone.

Did a 100% water change and let the tank cycle again although never saw ammonia as the live rock was already established.

Bought a Naso tang. It hid in the pot, never took food and died.

Bought another small regal, it would pick on algae a bit but basically hid and died.

Took down the QT and started just adding fish back to the display, havn't had an issue since.

I think my QT tank was just the wrong environment for the fish I was buying. Online, in many many articles they say a 20 gallon long is plenty of QT but man did I have issues...