Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2015, 08:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

While it's not a sustainable hobby it's not on the decline either. The hobby is growing, price increases are actually proof of that. As the hobby expands as does the the business that supports it. Many might be inclined to think as competition grows prices will come down but not when sustainability is low, ultimately there's limited supply thus growing demand drives prices up among other reasons already mentioned. Hardware however is different, the equipment market continues to grow with new products and innovations resulting in more supply and lower prices.

If people are noticing a resent decline consider the combination of summer months approaching and the effects of the economy from the energy sector. Things will definitely be slowing down as a result but it's a typical and a temporary decline, not really a sign of things to come.

I also shake my head every time I hear comments relating to the environmental impact and that the hobby's effect is minimal. First off if there are larger forces at play such as pollution, commercial fishing, deforestation and so forth then the effect this hobby plays is more substantial, not less. If reefs are already threatened then the addition of another threat has greater impact. Second if you've ever been around your LFS at shipment day then you've seen the countless boxes of wild caught specimens which arrive regularly. If you consider the thousands of retail locations around the world you'd be unwise to suggest this has little impact on the sensitive ecosystem supporting this business. I'm not suggesting everyone should quit the hobby, feel bad, or even give a flying ... But don't sit on a high horse cursing those larger forces which offer far greater benefit to society than your precious glass box of self-indulgence.