Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2014, 11:57 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road
Default Reddish algae growing on Chaeto

Anyone ever get a reddish purple slimy film algae growing on top of their chaeto?
I'm just over 2 weeks into a 3 week vacation and my tank sitter let me know a couple days ago that there is a fungus growing on top of the chaeto in the refugium (purple greenish white). He doesnt know much about the science in the hobby so im guessing this is aglae (the white is probably bubbles, and green probably the chaeto). He emailed a photo but all i have is an ipad so i cant post a pic, if a photo is needed for advice I would need someones email to send so they can post a pic for me.
Normally I turn the chaeto and replace the filter socks every 7-10 days, asked him to change the socks at about the 10 to 14 day mark as I only have one extra pair in the rotation and trying not to be a pain for him to rinse bleach dry etc a second time. And I didn't ask him to turn or prune the chaeto.

I've seen the aglae start before so I'd either take that time to prune the chaeto or just turn it over, drowning the slight film and it never caused a problem.

If I get him to turn it over, that would be ideal, as its the easiest method and i can remove that when i get home next week. But only if this won't cause a problem in the display. I don't believe there is any algae at all in the display, at least there hasn't been in 6 months so i don't want this advice to be a mistake

Second option is to ask him to prune it, which i think is ideal, but it's a pain creating small bits of chaeto that can mess with the skimmer in the same section.

Pertinent details: aqueon Proflex 3 sump/refugium, 2 x 4" filter socks, cadlights pls 100 skimmer in same center section as chaeto and miracle mud bottom. 46g display, 48g of total water volume, 6500k LED flood light on from 12 am to 12 pm
Nitrates and phosphates are probably nearly zero as they have been for a year and he's been shown how much to feed (rinsed brine and mysis)

Not sure if missing anything besides a photo if anyone cares to host or provide advice without a pic?

Thanks in advance