Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

Thanks! Good thing I asked you about your awesome panels that day or the stand would still be plain Jane.

I will try to fiddle around the settings some more tonight. I left exposure compensation out of the equation last night, so I will muck around with that as well. I found that even a slight tilt in the camera angel to the glass distorts the macro shot. It's really hard to get close in especially when I have to place the lens as close to perpendicular to the glass as possible. I am currently using a tripod, since I have such a slow shutter speed.

Haha, my gundams are full of dust right now. They have been that way since I was in school and that was a couple of years ago. One day when I get better at photography, I will throw in a couple shots. I don't think many on Canreef know what these things even are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
Wow, that's looking sweet! Love the stand. Very classy

Your pics are pretty good too. You could use a bit more exposure on them maybe. You can either bump up the exposure during post processing with an image editor, or, if you're finding that your pics straight out of the camera are under exposed based on the exposure metering that your camera is giving you (aperature and shutter and ISO), then try turning up the exposure compensation.

Photographing tanks is challenging for SLRs because the lighting, the glass, the water, and the subject can all mess with the camera's built in light/exposure meter. A lot of the time you have to adjust whatever the camera gives you, or redirect (exposure wise) what the camera thinks is a 'good image'.

I would also recommend getting at tripod. The 100mm macro lens is a great lens, but when shooting at 100m every little movement from your camera (hand shake) will register in the image (as blurry). If you have the IS version of the 100mm macro that will help, but I would still put it on a tripod. Tripods are cheap and will produce A LOT more usable images.

Finally, HOLY FRAK I want to see more Gundams ! Maybe sneak in a few close ups of those beauties