Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2013, 01:08 AM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road
Default dreaming reef gravel??

Does anyone have experience with this sand? I bought a bunch of bags from aquagiant when I first got into this hobby over 1 year ago. Its an asian brand of sand. My first tank was little cube and I had I battled diatom blooms the whole time. My parameters were always perfect, so the only thing I figured was lack of flow which was lacking but still decent.

3 weeks ago i upgraded tank to a bigger tank and transfered all my rock but left the gravel behind. I put in the same gravel as the last tank because i still had so many bags left over Ive got a skimmer, phosphate reactor, filter socks changed every 3 days, chaeto in the fuge, big clean up crew, 50+times turnover flow, lights are only on for 9 hours per day, 10+% water changes per week with ro/di. Parameters are still perfect in this tank too.

Theres algae everywhere in the new tank. First week was fine and in the second week it hit again. Ive done 2 50% water changes and it helped for a couple days and then it grew wild again. I dont have much on the rocks but its on the sand and it leaves a crust on the top layer.

Live stock is a couple clowns, naso tang, and clean up crew. I only feed as much as they eat.

The only thing I can think of thats causing this is the sand. Possibly full of silicates?

Any ideas??