Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2013, 08:13 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriak View Post
I have the 300 and I love it. It works great. I am sure the 350 would work really good as well but that's 3 pumps you need to maintain.
Agree with that. from experience the sicci pumps don't really have a good track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo1983 View Post
Love my new ATI Powercone 250is very easy to use nice new pump and there was hardly a break in period. I am running it on a 380 gallon reef, pulls out some nasty stuff.

Remember if you decide to go with bubble king the pumps are very expensive to replace and parts are alot harder to aquire. Just my opinion
Frizzo Im not going to argue with you on your skimmer However, a lot of people will say they skimmer is a beast because I can't keep up with the nog it produces. Maybe because the skimmer can't keep up with the tank. Im not bashing your skimmer just making a observation WRT you stating that it pulls out some nasty stuff. Like how much are we talking that it pulls out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
From experience two things I would avoid:
1) Multiple pumps - more issues relating to consitant water level
2) Pumps mounted vertical - start up issues & propeller wear issues.

The diablo looks like the better choice of the three you posted but my advice would be to consider an alpha for you low end and BK double cone DC for your upper.
Steve has pretty much hit the nail on the head WRT the skimmer Sicci, Sedra caused a lot of headaches the ay they mounted there pumps on the skimmer as Sphelps stated. it seems that Ehiem as per the older Deltec's like the 701,702, 902 ,851 have had some great success with their pumps mounting it that way, Now that Deltec has their own line of pumps they continue to run the pumps that way and are having problems with their impeller prematurely wearing out.

I'm with Steve if you are not going to pull the trigger on a BK being a high end skimmer and a Alpha Vertex being the low end but beast of a skimmer. I would go with the DC pump skimmer as Steve pointed out. Im curious to here that how people think that BK parts are hard to get. If I need a piece I can call Jermey on RC and have a pump sent to me with in a week.

With Doug's skimmer the 300 its a beast, if you have seen it maybe take a look why not. Like our discuss last night I have a line on a EXT BK 300 for my 250 gal tank. Personally is that to much of a skimmer for that tank. It might be considering that Jason McK who had the 370 gal tank had one running on his tank.

over all opinion
DELTEC 902, with the self cleaning head. 2 nd hand thou
BK 300 if you can
ALpha 300
diablo with the DC pump.

WRT to the BK line the only thing that is impacting the Skimmer line is the PROLINE is pulling out of Royal Exclusive.

SO these are my opinions and experience that is it. please don't come on here and bask me due to a opinion I have. Remember this is Greg's thread. not a skimmer Bitching session.

Greg you are more then welcome to chat skimmers with me you long hair freak.. love ya bro.