Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
With that amount of nutrients in the tank and the way it is set up (canister filter, no sump) it is really going to take a lot of time and elbow grease. The "real" numbers are much higher than the ones the test kits are showing you because the algae is sucking quite a bit out of the water column in order to be growing so well.

I would also consider removing the sand bed and then replacing it with a new shallow sand bed after the nutrients are under control again. This will help speed things along because usually in high nutrient systems there is a lot trapped and absorbed into the substrate (and live rock, but I doubt you want to replace that haha). If you do remove the sand bed, look into this before you start as it can be dangerous if you don't do it right.

Fyi, RowaPhos is GFO. GFO generally refers to any granular phosphate media that is reddish brown.
The sand is new, just added in May/June and is maybe an inch deep. I had removed all the old sand and redid this tank at that time. Ohhh, I know my numbers are higher than indicated on the tests, can see it in the tank... the tank really went green while we were on holidays last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Pilot View Post
That tank, with no sump, might be a good candidate for carbon dosing using vodka together with MB7. The canister can still be used to get your phosphates down. I haven't done this myself, so can't speak from direct experience. But lots of good experience on the web if you do a search.

Once your params are good and the algae is licked, then maybe go back to just nitrate and phosphate removing media in your canister.

Along with your water changes, I would still vacuum the sand and make good use of a toothbrush and turkey baster until the detritus and algae are gone. Also would clean the primary sponge filter in your canister often to prevent build-up, esp with all your extra initial cleaning effort in your tank.
I will read up on vodka dosing. My maintenance on the canister I think is pretty good. Amazing what's in there. Everything is cleaned, scrubbed, rinsed and refilled with tank water. Sponges are cleaned and replaced every 3 months.

I'm waiting for the lights to come on and I'll get working on the tank.

Something else I didn't mention is there is a film on the surface water. I'm hoping that with the adjustments made to the skimmer (was overflowing) this surface film will start to clear up.

Should I rearrange the power heads?