Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > FOWLR

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2012, 04:22 PM

raoul duke is on a distinguished road
Default Conversion from freshwater setup sequence

Hi, Converting my 180 gallon freshwater tank to my first saltwater setup, did my homework, came up with a plan.
This is all new to me so I just need somebody to make sure the steps sound logical.

1.Remove all existing livestock, decor, substrate etc, drain and clean tank to eliminate any colonies of freshwater bacteria.

2. Remove existing media from my fluval fx5 canister filter, clean and dry it, replace with all new media (floss, inert porcelein, carbon maybe?) Is it a good idea to keep the mechanical filtration at all?

3. Install sump, skimmer, return pump, powerheads

4. Fill tank, mix salt, start up all the equipment, check consistency of temp, gravity, etc.

5. Add 1 pound of live rock per gallon (or a mixture of live and base rock to be seeded?) and a liquid bacterial starter (whats that stuff called again?)

6. If everything's cool after a week or two, start by adding one or two hardy, inexpensive fish (Chromis or Damsels)

7. start thinking about upgrading lights etc., adding LPS down the road in the future

Does this make sense? I Should be able to complete 1-5 over a couple of days yes?

Thanks