Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2012, 06:16 PM

mikeclarke is on a distinguished road
Default Fernie BC Reef Tank

Hi there,

I've had a 20gallon tank (just a heater and a filter) for over a year and I have started on the road to a bigger tank that has a few more bells and whistles (skimmer, RO, ATO, etc).

I bought a stand, sump, and display tank from a fellow Canreefer. It is 72"x18"x18".

My order from J&L arrived on Friday and I've got the sand, rock, and water in the display tank and the sump plumbed. The plumbing seems to work okay. It took a little while to get the gate valve adjusted to limit the noise.

I've put all the little bits of live rock that I have in the big area in the sump where my heater is and where the skimmer will eventually sit. Is that okay? What is the best way to aquascape? I've got some really nice big pieces and I haven't epoxied anything yet. I've tried to make lots of caves. I have 75lbs of rock in the big tank and have 30lbs in the 20 gallon that I will bring over once I transfer the live stock. I am planning on making the old 20 gallon a quarantine tank.

The water doesn't make noise now but the Gen x pcx 40 external pump is quite loud. I mounted it to the stud wall. There isn't insulation in the ceiling in the furnace room but it is loud in the basement as well. I thought I could use foam instead of the piece of 2x4 to space it from the wall. Any suggestions? I only paid $60 for those three pumps (2 worked and the other doesn't) so it isn't like I am into them for a pile of cash.

I haven't put the skimmer in yet and probably won't until I order some live stock.

I am waiting on getting my garage drywalled so I can get back to stain and varathane the shaker doors I made for the stand. The wood for the canopy and to skirt is 1x8 spruce/pine I picked up in the states. The doors are 3" frames with ¼" fir plywood in the middle.

I still need to set up the RO and ATO but not a super rush. Just need to get it done before the fish move in.

I'd like to get corals eventually and obviously fish. Any suggestions would be great.

Attached are some pictures,

Mike

Attachment 9837

Attachment 9838

Attachment 9842

Attachment 9843

Attachment 9844

Attachment 9845

Attachment 9846

Last edited by mikeclarke; 11-10-2012 at 02:44 PM.