Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default 50 gallon LPS & Zoa Reef

Now that the weather is warmer I have begun the building process for the new 50 gallon tank I picked up. I currently have a 90 gallon mixed reef that I am splitting into two tanks. I am removing all the LPS from the 90 gallon tank and putting them into the new 50 gallon, plus all the Zoas and Palys that are in a 10 gallon "temporary" tank from the 20 gallon Atasuki tank I tore down in November.

The new 50 gallon tank will have a Herbie overflow installed with gate valve, and a drilled return. I am using an Ocean Runner 2500 return pump, and a SWC 120 Cone skimmer. I'm going to see how the tank runs with just a Hagen Glo 2x36 watt T5s fixture, but I may need to replace with a 4x36 watt fixture. The tank measures 36x18x18".

The stand is glued and screwed 2x4s. The stand is sheeted in 3/8" sanded plywood. The vertical edges are joined with 45 degree edges. I still have to cut the front out, use that piece for the back of the stand to partially enclose the back of the stand, and install the doors. The doors will be 3/4" sanded plywood. All the plywood edges will be finished with iron on Birch edging. I'm aiming for a nice clean look with straight lines. There is a sheet of 1/2" dense styrofoam between the stand and the tank. I'm not sure if I'm going to make a canopy or not...will see how it looks after I get it set up.

The stand will be painted green to match the living room walls. Color is General Paint CL-1933M Worn Soul. The idea is to have the stand blend into the wall so it looks less obtrusive in our small living room. I am going to spend some time doing a high quality finish. Sand it with 180 grit to start, primer, sand with 220 grit, paint, sand with 220 grit, paint, sand with 220 grit, satin finish water-based polyurethane, very light sanding with 320 grit, and a second polyurethane coat . If I am careful and do a good job this will give the stand a cabinet-grade finish.

The sump is a 15 gallon tank. Glass is ordered for the sump, will be ready next week . It will be pretty basic. Room for a filter sock on the overflow pipe, skimmer chamber, a few baffles, and a return chamber.

SPS fanatic.