Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM

BigAl07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderjumper View Post
Awesome! Wonder if the dip would melt these nasty blue clove polyps growing on my zoas?
Unfortunately I have to say no at least in my experience. Those "Japanese Clove Polyps" are tougher than the algae. I'm about to eradicate mine using a very intensive means... Laser!!

re: H2O2 Dipping - I've done (and plan to always do for new coral frags) H2O2 dips. Depending on the reason for the dip determines the amount of H2O2 and the amount of time the frag is dipped. I can tell you for sure that a dip of H2O2 will kill Bryopsis, GHA and a whole plethora of other nisance algae. I can't say one way or the other on Bubble Algae because I always pick it off outside of the tank then do a H2O2 dip.

Here are a few pictures I snapped of before & after treatments:

Before (Grande Palys)

After (5 min dip in 50/50 @3%)

The following day there were no sign of any nuisance algae and 3 months later it's still clean as a whistle.

One thing I have started doing is trying to keep as much of the coral tissue as possible OUT of the solution. I'd got a piece of eggcrate in the dish and I will add the mixture only deep enough to cover the whole frag base to try and minimize long-term tissue damage with H2O2 exposure.

Here are a couple of videos of the actual dip taking place (it's been a while)

and here's the same frag disc but later in the DIP process

and here you can see the next say any remaining algae is bleached and expiring.

So from the above testing I decided many months ago that all new frags (if I can get the majority of the coral out of the solution) going into my tank will get a min of a 3 minute 50/50 @3% dip. It has worked wonders for me and my tanks.