Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2011, 12:12 AM

rickwaines is on a distinguished road
Default cold water question

I have had a brain storm that it might be a gas to set up a cold water salt set up on my patio. It is a large concrete patio with tonnes of room and a big glass wall. I am thinking of setting it up next to the glass wall so I can watch it from inside while keeping the mess outside. I also think an added bonus would be no, or little chilling in the winter months. Problem is, I have heard that if there is too much light on these cold water systems the algae gets out of control. Any suggestions? I have never used a UV sterilizer but are they effective at eliminating algae?

The patio is east facing and will need chilling in the summer obviously. For now I am just trying to solve the algae problem.

Rick

PS Any one know why the algae issues would be different with cold water than warm water? I know that the denizens of the cold water reef don't need light to grow unlike a warm water sw set up but I don't get why the algae problems would be so much worse with a cold water set up. And I don't understand why one couldn't control it. It should be said that all of my reef experience is with fresh.

Last edited by rickwaines; 10-20-2011 at 12:29 AM.