Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM

ReefOcean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New set-up, need advice

So I am setting up my first "big-boy" setup. Not big in gallons, but big in the the sense that I will be going all in with a full sump, professional setup

I have been in saltwater for about 7 years, but have mainly run low budget, "half-ass" systems. Right now, I am running a 30gal SPS/softie tank with 1 clownfish, shady Chinese LED lighting, a red prism skimmer (going 5 years strong), a 1/16 horsepower chiller and 2 koralia powerheads. As far as dosing, I chuck in some Brightwell calcium liquid whenever it suits my fancy.

I am purchasing a 24x24x16tall tank (still trying to locate) and plan on a 15 gallon sump. I plan on switching to a 250watt MH fixture with T5 actinics since I am not satisfied with the colour and growth I am getting from my LEDs. It isn't horrible, but I want the colours I see in the tank of the month pictures. I will also be upgrading my skimmer to an in-sump dealie.

Now I want high flow, what size of bulkheads should I have drilled?

What special dosing do people use to keep the SPS running strong? I can keep them alive, and it might just be my light that is keeping them from popping, but is there any special techniques? I know this can be researched, but i would prefer first hand experience from people.

Thanks

EDIT: By "suits my fancy" I mean I check calcium every 2 days and dose accordingly with an oral syringe hehe. I also check DKH, PH and Mag every 2-4 days but have never had to dose for them.

Last edited by ReefOcean; 07-03-2011 at 02:42 PM.