Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 AM

vince0 is on a distinguished road
Default Vince's 55g Starter Tank

Hi Folks,

I've been reading on here for a long time, getting a little more comfortable with salt water tanks and the way they function. I've been keeping fresh water tanks for almost 15 years, with a focus on breeding. After seeing some of the reef tanks on here, and on display in some of the local stores, I decided that I may want to dip a toe! I've been doing research for over 2 years and finally decided to convert one of my tanks over to salt.

The tank is a 4ft 55g, with the back and sides painted mat black. It has a hang on tank Eshopps psk75h for skimming. A hydor-corallia 1050gph powerhead for circulation. The heater is a 150w ebo-jager submersible. The light is a 48" hagen glo, with a 10k and a 14k korallen-zucht bulbs.

I purchased 65lbs of Marco Key Largo dry rock from Red Coral in Calgary last week, and purchased 3lbs of misc live rock from them this weekend.

The salinity is currently as 1.021, the chlorine is gone, ph is at 8.2ish (i hate the colored strips, probably going to have to get me a ph pen in the near future.) Let's get this experiment started!

Here is a picture as of now