Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2010, 02:31 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road
Default 175w halide decision help

a little background info - my tank is 36"x24x12" (shallow 45 gallon). I have a 6 bulb teklight but it will only light 15-17" of the tank so I have put it up for sale to purchase a 4x39w t5ho retro (running 2 blue plus, purple plus and aquablue special) along with two 175 halide units. This will all go up in a hood so that is 11" tall but floats 6" above the tank. heres a pic to help you visualize

Questions for all you halide pro's...
  1. 175w should be enough for such a shallow tank right? (want to keep my electrical bill within reason)
  2. what would be the optimal setup for a true 14k look from the halides alone? (ex. single end Iwasaki 14k on eballast -would like ballast and bulb recommendations)
  3. will this add alot of heat to such a small tank?
  4. do i need uv glass?
  5. reflector choices? I have about 20" of width to work with in the hood, 4 t5s will take up 10" give or take (based on 2.5" reflector width)
  6. will this setup add too much heat (i dont have a chiller but my house temps are as follows - winter days 20 degrees, nights 17 degree, summer days 22 degrees nights 20 degrees) - tank will be in my living room where the thermostat is located.
  7. should i scrape the halides and instead go with a 8-10 bulb t5ho combo?

random but related question - can those Lumatek dimmable ballasts be dimmed by a controller (ie Reefkeeper with ALC module) or is it just a manual knob you turn?

also - if you have any of the equipment i need for sale feel free to PM me. I am in Ontario but am willing to pay for shipping if the price is right.

thank you all in advance for you help.

Happy Reefing -Vince