Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 PM

CGY_Betta_Guy is on a distinguished road
Default Possibly starting first ever small FOWLR SW tank and looking for info

Hi fellow Calgarians!

I have been doing some FW planted tank fish keeping for about a year and a half and have been seriously thinking about starting up a small 6G SW tank with a similar sized sump to get an idea about what its like to work with salt water tanks. Before anyone comments about the size of tank, I am aware that small volumes of water is very risky for a beginner but it will give me a great hands on experience without breaking the bank and I can assess whether or not I would like to continue with something bigger after messing with something smaller scale for a bit. My plans would be to add 2-3 small fish (a small clown and a goby I think) and some inverts. Eventually I might add some other easy to care for corals or something once I figure out what easy to care for means in SW.

That being said I am trying to get an idea of where to source things and also looking for information/tips from those more experienced than I am.

1) where can I source small cheap chunks of live rock and live sand in Calgary? This will save me a little bit of traveling around the city. If I bought some from a member here would I necessarily need to cycle the tank?
2) Is it ok to add both live rock and live sand to the tank at once or is it better to put the sand in after the live rock has cured? The sticky article in here didnt seem to mention if it could be done at the same time and if there was any caution needed if doing so.
3) After the live rock and sand is added, how long before I would be able to put some inverts and fish in? I am guessing it would depend on the initial source of the LR and sand and how quickly its able to drop ammonia and nitrite levels?
4) Any suggestions about creating the salt water mix and what brand of salt is a good balance between quality and price? Or is there much difference?
5) I know lighting will be a big part of keeping the SW tank, does anyone know where I can get a retrofit kit and ballasts locally to put those short power compact fluorescent tube lights in?
6) what other equipment and supplies besides the basics of tank, lights, heater, skimmer and test kit might I need?

7) Is there a reference of slang/shorthand for SW that I can read up on? Researching is kinda confusing when I dont know what such things as a cheato or pods are..
8) Any other cautionary things I might need to know ahead of time that I may not pick up from reading posts in the forum?

Thanks for any info that can be provided!