Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2009, 07:28 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Puppy Training

My fiancee and I are trying to figure out how to continue/start training our puppy. He is becoming a big pain and quite dominant. Actually he was dominant from day one but he now seems to disregard most commands and only listens maybe 50% of the time.

Just thought I would see if any of the dog people on here have any advice or know a really good trainer IN Vancouver (not in Burnaby or somewhere). At this point, I don't mind paying a lot to have him (us) trained.

He is a Boston Terrier, Miniature Pinscher with a little Jack Russell. If we had known about the Jack when we bought him, we would have never bought him. Both of us really dislike Jack Russells.

We expected hyper, but he absolutely ridiculous. More energetic than any dog I or my fiancee have ever had...by far. He seems to have a problem still with meeting people and other dogs. He just cannot calm down. He literally starts shaking and whining, jumping, nipping. He knows he is suppose to sit before anyone can approach him and he used to but now he is starting to just go nuts if he is restrained or made to sit when he wants to see someone. He cries so loud that it sounds like he is dying lol. Its very embarrassing.

The other problem is his lack of obedience in the house. He was progressing very well for months but the past little while seems to be going backwards. By about 8 weeks, he was starting to nip hands a lot and chase the cat around the condo. He was terrible on walks but this was all to be expected. Over the next few months he got better on walks and actually stopped the nipping of hands quite a bit. Now he is starting to do it all over again. We have obviously lost his respect.

He does listen but often it takes a long time to get his attention and he ends up listening more on his own terms than ours. He has also started to bark back at us when we give him a command. He has also started to bark at the cat a lot which he never used to

Any ideas? He is just about 7 months old now and was neutered yesterday.

I guess I should give him some credit for the good things...he was "paper" trained very well and quickly, only going to the bathroom outside on the balcony (on paper) or waiting to go for his walk. He has also never chewed anything he is not suppose to after being told to stop other than paper if he finds it. He has no problem sleeping in his crate at night.

So we seem to have been lucky with a few things