Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2009, 04:38 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
Salt is fairly cheap to a vendor and could always use water changed from other systems for the live rock tank. I can guarantee you that any skimmer on a live rock tank will be more trouble than it's worth. Plus the skimmer seems to be the easy way out, using a skimmer and doing less water changes may be cheaper depending on how you look at it but certainly not better than changing all the water frequently. In terms of quality what is best? I would bet many vendors through little skimmers on there live rock tanks which are more decorative than anything, with the main purpose to impress customers.

Salt is by no means cheap to any vendor. To ship salt (which is bought by the pallet) is very expensive.

The last IO order I got in on with a local vendor the salt came to roughly $32/bucket by the time it got to the doors. This was the sale price at the large vendor expo in vancouver. If your buying many more pallets at a time I can see it being cheaper but we just dont have that turn over. BTW this was shipped right from the factory.

As for the skimmer we have them on our LR tanks and your right the amount of stuff actually pulled by the skimmer is very little. We have a big Vertex on our rock tank but it is still pulling some protiens out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Who cares?

Just buy the rock from wherever you want and let the vendors do what they want. It's the same as buying anything, if you don't like a product, don't buy it. Simple.
Very well said. I couldnt agree more.

Last edited by Ryan; 12-17-2009 at 04:40 AM.