Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy View Post
Im not trying to start any arguments over this, just making a comment.
Gate valves are not designed to be used as a throttling valve they are designed to be a 100% open or 100% closed, if you are looking for a valve that is designed to be throttling us a globe valve.
globes valves for this aplication are expensive as heck and not worth it. what we normaly get is ball valves which are horable for throttling, hence most of us use gate valves. In this aplication the gate valve works fine. If we were using a bronze gate then you are 100% corect as they tighten in there track as they close and having them 1/2 open they will chatter and destroy themselves, but the design of the normal gate valve we use is not this way and there for will not present a problem in this case and works very well for throttling.

As for ball valves they are horable and the worst valve you can use in this aplication for throttling as they have a non linear opening quality. I ended up pulling all the balls out of my system and throwing them in the garbage.

One thing I would add is I am against any valves on the return lines unless they are only for isolating for maintenance. throttling a return is just asking for trouble at some point. if you want to varry the flow between the sump and the fuge use line size to do it. if you want to varry flow through the system then throttle the pressure side of the pump.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 11-19-2009 at 02:37 PM.