Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2009, 11:36 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Closed Loops (New design)

Ok, so I sold the 40 in BC, and bought a 90 out here in Saskatchewan. So, I'm thinking I will do a small 2-way closed loop on this tank for three reasons:

~ So I can hopefully eliminate most if not all powerheads.

~ T the pump outlet for an easy water change system like superduperwesman did in his nano contest tank. It won't work in the sump because there will only be about 3-5 gallons of water in with the pump.

~ I can use a 2-way to create a wavebox sort of action I'm hoping. This way I can get away with probably just using one VorTech (later on down the road when I feel rich again), or maybe I will be happy just using a couple Koralia 4's or some such thing.

So...any input on how many gph I should run my closed loop? Remember I keep LPS only, although I will add a few SPS to the 90 (I think). Pump recommendations?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Thread:

I am busy plumbing my 40g tank. Being that it is small, I want to eliminate as many power heads as possible for as clean a look as possible. So I'm probably going to incorporate a closed loop. I'm thinkin just a basic one (mostly because I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to plumbing anything other than basics). Ideally I would like to eliminate all power heads if possible.

The tank is already drilled in the upper two back corners for in/out to the sump. I'm thinkin to drill the back pane for the closed loop. I have two pumps Poseidon 3 (700 gph at 4' head, 800gph at 0' head), and a Little Giant 2-MD (a little over 400 gph at 4' head). Should I split the outflow on the PS3 or use the LG for the closed loop? I don't want more than 400 gph through the sump, but would prefer 300-325 gph. I have my own drill bits, so I can drill holes to my heart's content, so feel free to suggest any number of bulkheads. Please suggest pipe and bulkhead sizes too.

I'm thinkin use the LG for the sump, and the PS3 for the closed loop? How many bulkheads could come off there and have decent flow? I plan to use Loc-Line with nozzles on the ends.

Any ideas or suggestions given what I have for equipment, and how to do it? What would you do?

Keep in mind this is for LPS, not SPS, so flow has to be reasonable! Can't be blowin the flesh off my corals now!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 05-06-2009 at 04:18 PM.