Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2008, 05:07 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road
Default New Drain Design

So I like the type of drain design that greenspottedpuffer did on his tank

But I would want to make sure that it was still ultra quite. So I was thinking I might try something like this on my next tank.

Thoughts? Comments? Basically it's just a mix of the slot tube with a herbie. The tube with the slot is your "overflow" and the larger pipe is your backup drain. It might not be something super practical for a larger tank because of the size of outer tube you need to house the inner tube but I mainly stick to small tanks so I think it would work? This would allow you to have a sleak hidden "overflow" along the top edge of your tank (like greenspottedpuffer's above^) while maintaining a quite drain with only one bulkhead. I just hate how much room overflows can take up, especially in a small tank, and especially if you want to run a herbi. This would only be one tube along the top and one down and out.

My only concern would be that the inner tube could rattle with the outer tube but I'm sure if you sized them accordingly and weren't going to far to the sump it would be ok.

*Edit: Obivously you might have to get a bit creative with some of the plumbing (fitting in fitting) but nothing to crazy.

Last edited by superduperwesman; 12-19-2008 at 05:10 PM.