Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 AM

linzld is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to linzld
Exclamation Suspended Algae Problem!

Help!
I am relatively new to saltwater, I set up my 40G system in January. Starting about 2-3 months ago I had a problem with what I thought was algae and turned out to be Cyano. I was recommended an Algae Remover called Algaefix for this problem. I put in the bottle-recommended dose and by the next day it seemed to be getting better, but the following day it was worse again. So I (stupidly) used a little bit more because it didn't seem to be hurting anything else. Well, the cyano would get better but what also happened was it killed ALL the algaes in my tank, including the cheeto (sp?) and all the good things growing in there. It looked like my tank had been scrubbed clean, everything looked spotless but not how it should look. At the time I didn't realize right away my cheeto had died. When I did, I scooped as much out as I could with my hand and then put some more in, after the algaefix was all gone. I then used chemiclean to get rid of the cyano and it seemed to take care of that. Then, I started to get algae blooms which I pretty much took care of with some water changes. But now I have what I think it just suspended algae. My water is a cloudy green and I can't seem to fix it. I turn off the lights for the better part of a few days and it seems to get a lot better but comes back when I turn them on. I did a water change of about 2/3 as a last resort and it looked better overnight but was green again when I got home from work the next day! I think this was caused by the cheeto which was decaying in my refugium (which has since been removed and all cleaned out), but now that is all gone and this problem won't go away. I have added some wool filtration to mechanically remove this (I just did this tonight) and am going to black it out for a few days but don't know what else to do! I have had a domino effect of problems and want my beautifu tank back! Suggestions?

The photo of my whole tank wasn't accepted by this program but I've put one looking down into the water to show the colour and another close-up showing the cloudiness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1503.jpg (10.9 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1505.jpg (18.0 KB, 93 views)