Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM

andsoitgoes is on a distinguished road
Default Electrical "Leakage" in a tank??

I don't know how to better describe the situation, but I was just planning on heading out and I put my hand in my tank to do something or other, and I had a few cuts on my fingers, well - it hurt like the DICKENS

I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, I tried it with other fingers that had cuts, and the same pain. I tested a few other things out, and then I got the same feeling on my OTHER fingers, with no cuts. Pulling the plug to everything made me realize that it was something electrical.

I proceeded to unplug everything, one by one, and I cleaned out some much needing cleaned powerheads, and made sure nnothing was being blocked or running "dry" - I did notice that a few of my PH's in my sump were in rough shape, and I think my pump to the UV unit was fully plugged.

Needless to say, all is done and it's fine now, no "zapping" when putting my fingers in my tank, and all livestock seems okay (might explain why my SPS have fully browned and dying) - and it had nothing to do with my heater, that one never "zapped" when it was the only thing plugged in, and that was one of the first things I tried.

But is there anything else I should worry about? I have a grounding cable on my tank to suck away the excess, I can't imagine what this would have been like without that. Anyone experience this, suggestions, what I should be aware of or watch out for?

Thanks!