Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 AM

kwirky is on a distinguished road
Default Calgary Saltwater Market: Your thoughts?

I'm curious what others here have to say about Calgary's saltwater community, and Calgary's saltwater market? I notice that the Calgary board on here is quite active, and there are some good shops here (not naming any names). And I've heard of some people road tripping from Edmonton for the shops here.

How unique does everyone else think Calgary is? And if we are unique, what makes us unique? What kind of things do you see in American sellers and associations (via websites, talk on other forums, etc) that you wish we could have here?

And those things you wish for, could they be sustainable, in a business sense?

For instance, places like J&L, and a lot of places in the states get their livestock straight from the collectors, and have their own holding facilities. It cuts costs, but requires a large initial investment to cover the holding facilities, and a large number of sustainable sales to cover the costs of these facilities. Does anyone think Calgary has a market where such an investment would be a profitable one for somone?

And the issue with American duty on goods shipped to Canada. I know, in many different retail industries, some goods have to pass through the states for us to get them, because Canada's small population doesn't garner enough demand for wholesalers to be interested in large quantity purchases. Is that really an issue, or just hogwash?

What are your thoughts?

I'm basically trying to garner a discussion on the status of Calgary's saltwater market, and places it could go, if it's possible, and how it would get there.