Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Pictures

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Aloha from Maui (image intense)

Aloha - I just came back from Maui for two weeks. Here are some pictures fellow Canreefers may find of some interest..

In short, the snorkeling is incredible as far as fish is concerned. The coral reefs are not bad but the water is "too cool" for serious SPS formations. For the most part I saw species of Porites, Pocillopora, and a few that may be Montipora (some that may even be M. danae, or something very similar). But the fish are amazing. I saw tangs: yellow; numerous Acanthurus: convict, orange shoulder, achilles, A. nigrofuscus (one of the most numerous I saw in fact - described in many texts as somewhat drab, I personally thought they were among the most exquisite out of any tang I've ever seen - hopefully the pics of these turn out); Naso dussumieri, Naso literatus (what we call "Naso" tangs), unicorns... Wrasses too numerous to mention. Damsels and Chromis. Moray eels. Rays. Dolphins. Turtles. Squid. Gobies. Blennies. Moorish Idols. Butterflies. The list is overwhelming, and with the exception of the dolphins all were within 10' of water off the shore in the safer snorkeling zone. All I can really say is "Wow."

Here are some pictures off my digital (so no underwater shots here, I have to get my film developed for the real underwater shots - so I'll post those later), but the fish you see here are from the Maui Ocean Centre in Ma'alaea (website http://www.mauioceancenter.com/ .. one of the nicer public aquariums I've been to - small, but very well done - I highly recommend a visit).

Last edited by Delphinus; 07-19-2006 at 05:48 AM.