Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-17-2013, 03:08 AM

Oilers is on a distinguished road
Default I need a vacation.. suggestion needed!

After spending the last hour or so shoveling over 15 cm of snow off my driveway, I figure I've had enough of this stupid weather. I gonna book a vacation out of this winter forever land.
I am thinking of going to Varadero, Cuba since I haven't been there before. Have you been there? What were your favorite activities or places? Once again, I am bringing my kids with me (5 and 3 yrs old) so I need something that we can do as a whole family. I have gotten some excellent recommendations from you guys for our last trip to Mexico so I figure I go the old well once more. Any information that you provide may help us a long way in making our trip as enjoyable as it can be. Thank you.
PS My wife is Canadian permanent resident. Is she allowed to travel to Cuba? I'll check with my travel agent on Monday but I thought I check with you guys first. Once again, thanks a bunch.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:17 AM

swill is on a distinguished road

I went there about 10 years ago and thought it was ok. The water was not that great if you like to go in the ocean. In my opinion it's best to go with the 4+ star hotels or you're going to be disappointed in the quality of everything including food. The hotel I stayed at is no longer there but I heard that Breezes is nice. For stuff to do it's the same as everywhere else, there is dolphin excursions, snorkeling, there is a little market there with local vendors and if you want you can go to Havanah which is a nice little city and not too far from there. It doesn't have great shopping areas but excellent Rum and cigars obviously. I would recommend it if you're looking to just go somewhere and not looking to break the bank going.

Canadians are allowed there...oh and the airport scared me as it's not as friendly as I was use to (security guards in full army gear including huge guns just standing and staring at you)

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5a1642e8.jpg
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
...oh and the airport scared me as it's not as friendly as I was use to (security guards in full army gear including huge guns just standing and staring at you)
I've never seen that any time I've gone.

Only time I saw armed patrols was in Havana when I went to rally to hear Castro giving a speech. Then ya, lots of guns
Old 03-17-2013, 03:42 AM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

I'v e been to Varadaro, and didn't like it because it was too touristy for me. The beaches always had a red flag out to warn you not to swim. Though some people swam anyway. My friend went there and had a totally different experience. He loved it. Swam every day and on some reefs as well, where he saw a lot of life.I must have been on the wrong beach.
I would recommend, You use google earth, satellite, and see if the hotel you are thinking of has a reef outside.
I've been 3 times to Cuba and have always felt safe. Just didn't like Varadaro.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:51 AM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

Cozumel is nice. Been twice.

Very quite. Great snorkeling. Food is unreal.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Werbowski View Post
Cozumel is nice. Been twice.

Very quite. Great snorkeling. Food is unreal.
We'll be back to Mexico for a wedding so I try not to go there this time. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill View Post
I went there about 10 years ago and thought it was ok. The water was not that great if you like to go in the ocean. In my opinion it's best to go with the 4+ star hotels or you're going to be disappointed in the quality of everything including food. The hotel I stayed at is no longer there but I heard that Breezes is nice. For stuff to do it's the same as everywhere else, there is dolphin excursions, snorkeling, there is a little market there with local vendors and if you want you can go to Havanah which is a nice little city and not too far from there. It doesn't have great shopping areas but excellent Rum and cigars obviously. I would recommend it if you're looking to just go somewhere and not looking to break the bank going.

Canadians are allowed there...oh and the airport scared me as it's not as friendly as I was use to (security guards in full army gear including huge guns just standing and staring at you)
Yes, we will be booking 4+ star hotels only. I also heard a lot of complaints about their foods. It's so bland they said. What did you take to go to Havana? Bus, taxi or shuttle from the hotel?
Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Cuba is nice, but I haven't been with kids so can't suggest family activities. I don't see any problem with your wife going. If you go, make sure you book 5 star, as that's going to be about a 3 star anywhere else. If you go to a resort, eat local food, it's what they make best. There are a lot of good restaurants in town, and you can probably arrange a home cooked meal through someone at the hotel. Some of the best meals I had was while staying with a family in Havana.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Cuba is nice, but I haven't been with kids so can't suggest family activities. I don't see any problem with your wife going. If you go, make sure you book 5 star, as that's going to be about a 3 star anywhere else. If you go to a resort, eat local food, it's what they make best. There are a lot of good restaurants in town, and you can probably arrange a home cooked meal through someone at the hotel. Some of the best meals I had was while staying with a family in Havana.
When did you go Brad? I will definitely try the local foods there. I love trying out new dishes. Do they speak a lot of English there? What did you use to get around town?
Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers View Post
When did you go Brad? I will definitely try the local foods there. I love trying out new dishes. Do they speak a lot of English there? What did you use to get around town?
I've been a few times. The resorts are pretty good for English, but the family I stayed with spoke none at all. Most people in the city do not speak it. Last time I was there was 3 years ago.