Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 AM

Coralgurl is on a distinguished road
Default Need help setting up doser-Calgary

I am trying to set up my doser and I have no idea how to do this. Would someone be able to come over and help get it going? I've got beer... I don't have much in the way of frags to offer. Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 03:17 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

what kind of doser?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

more importantly, what kind of beer?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 07-26-2012, 03:39 AM

It's a Bubble Magnus and I'll supply beer of your choice
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Not one I'm familiar with
Old 07-26-2012, 04:20 AM
ChizerBunoi

Hi, my first post. Sweet.

I have the same unit and had a hard time using it. I had to install a plastic check valve on both ends of the tubing in order for it to work properly. The siphon would drop by the pump motor and lose its prime. Maybe you have this problem as well? I own 2 units with 2 extensions so 14 pumps in total and they all do the same thing. Crappy unit. never will I ever recommend this pump to anyone.

Once you manually pump the solution through all the tubing, set the programming. The way it works is that you select how many ML's you want it to dose and then choose how many times it should dose over a 24 hour period. It will choose the times for you, unless you choose only one dose per day. For pumps 2 - 11, it will then automatically dose 5 minutes afterwards. E.g., if you set your pump #1 to dose at 2pm, then pump #2 will automatically go off at 2:05pm and #3 at 2:10pm, etc...

Best of luck.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 AM

blacknife is on a distinguished road

Epsom salts. Aka magnesium sulphate. Found at pharmacys or bulk food stores.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 AM
ChizerBunoi

I would highly recommend that you setup the doser. At 6dkh alk, your tank can crash if it is dropping 1dkh each day. Just set it to the maintenance dose for each day. Remember to have a plastic check valve on both ends. That's one inside your solution container, and one at the tube holder. Prime the doser so that the tubes are completely filled.

Oh and be aware that if you don't have the doser led set so that you see current time, it will not work. Meaning your stuck in a menu so it will simply pause.

I don't understand why your mag is all over the place. That's usually the only element that we don't have to dose often.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 AM

I don't have any check valves so I will have to run out and find some. Not sure if we are going away this weekend now, looks like all campsites are full already...

Prior to setting up this tank, my alk has always been at 6 in my small tank, it caused issues with SPS but nothing else, figured if everything was ok, don't mess with it. Had great growth from everything

I understand the relationship between calcium and alkalinity, so last nights results were not surprising there. I don't have a lot of corals in this tank as stated ive lost a lot, for lps I have a wall frogspawn, bubble coral (has grown significantly in the last few weeks) fox coral, brain, duncans - have 2 heads out of 11 left, some zoas, mushrooms (blue rics just split) gsp, and green polyps. My pectina and goniopora are almost dead. I did move my button coral to the other tank, only because i had a fish flipping it. I haven't moved the frogspawn, am moving it to a different location to see if it's flow. Most of these were transferred to this tank in March this year.

I'm diligent when testing and have double tested to make sure results are accurate. My elos test kit (mag) is about a year old, API is about 8 months.

I dosed mag and all last night, I expect they should be at 1350 mag and 8 alk, haven't tested yet tonight but will to confirm.

Last edited by Coralgurl; 08-02-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 AM

warriorcookie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknife View Post
Epsom salts. Aka magnesium sulphate. Found at pharmacys or bulk food stores.
I would recommend using magnesium sulphate and magnesium chloride. Using just magnesium sulphate you run the risk of sulphate building up in your system over time.

Why do so many people say to use 1 way valves on both the input and output of the doser? I have used a valve just before the pump head and have not had any issues. Is it a redundancy thing? If so why not just two valves, one immediately after the other?

Sorry I can't offer any help, if I was in Calgary I'd offer to come over...