Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-19-2011, 04:11 PM

clowny is on a distinguished road
Default Fish wishlist checking

Just some background before i list the fish. I recently purchased a 120 gallon (4x2x2) with a right side overflow. My sump will be a 30 gallon with a section for a skimmer, and the rest will be reef rubble (no macro or light). The tank will have about 150-200 pounds of live rock. It will initally be a FOWLR but turned into a reef after a year or so. I wont be setting this up until after January at the earliest so i thought i would start my research now. I was wondering if these fish would all get along and have enough space/food:
2 xBangaii Cardinals (male femal pair or babies)
2 x Clown (yet to decide exact type probably picasso or black snowflake)(male and female or 2 babies)
1x Fu Manchu Lionfish
2 x Blue Mandarin (male female pair)
and maybe some wrasses was thinking 2 or 3 maybe up to 5 from these species (1 of each type):

African Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Orange - Back Fairy Wrasse
Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse

Leopard Wrasse (female only)
Linespot Flasher Wrasse.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Might want to add more after the Lionfish is finished snacking.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You won't be able to get a "pair" of young Banggai. Sexing is difficult when they are young.

I think you would be better off with a Fuzzy Dwarf lionfish. They have smaller mouths, and imo better personalities.

The wrasses you won't get to choose sex, other than buying females instead of males (if you choose), but dominant fish will become male. Consider a trio of the same species of wrasses, they are fun to watch. Pick a male and two females, one female will probably become sub-dominant male, and then the other will be super male. Super males often fade into sub-dominant males when they don't have any other of their specie around.

SPS fanatic.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:38 PM

clowny is on a distinguished road

Awesome advice will look into the same species of wrasse, as for the lionfish do dwarf fuzzy still eat the cleaner shrimps such?Hoping to have a wide variety of inverts (no hermits crabs but other crabs, snails, shrimp, clams, feather duster)

Last edited by clowny; 09-19-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 AM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowny View Post
Awesome advice will look into the same species of wrasse, as for the lionfish do dwarf fuzzy still eat the cleaner shrimps such?Hoping to have a wide variety of inverts (no hermits crabs but other crabs, snails, shrimp, clams, feather duster)
I wouldn't trust a lionfish (dwarf or not) with cleaner shrimps. If you see when a lionfish yawns or captures pray, you can't believe how big it can open its mouth.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 AM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I'd wait on the dwarf lionfish until your clowns have grown up a little as well if you start off with small clownfish. They will eat small clowns and they will eat cleaner shrimp.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Ditto on the Lionfish. Skip it. It's too risky with those little wrasses around. Also, is your tank covered? Those flasher and fairy wrasses have a tendency to become airborne. Have you considered a harem of anthias (something like Pseudanthias squampini or P. bartlettorum)?