Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum

Old 10-12-2010, 03:22 AM

Argentiner is on a distinguished road
Default Dehumidifiers

Was wondering if anyone here is using a dehumidifier and what brand they are using and what store they got it at. The humidity is at 80% in the basement where I keep my tank, and I'm a little worried about the house.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:50 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Humidty in my house has gotten out of control as well. What we have decided to do is install an HRV. It is actually a fresh air ventilation unit. Draws fresh air from outside uses stale air from the inside to heat the fresh air. The added benefit aside from continuous fresh air is that it dehumidifies as it exhausts stale inside air outside. We're getting a unit installed this Thursday.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I run a HRV (Heat Recovery & Ventilation) System. It works very well at removing/controlling humidity and also recycling heat in the winter. Tony/Delphinus put me on these when I saw his.

This systems are integrated into your cold air return and heating system, and work very well. My buddy who is a plumber, installed mine and of course was alot cheaper than all the others. If interested, I can always put you in touch with him. Just PM if you want his info.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I got a Kenmore portable AC unit this summer. It has a Dehumidify setting. I have been using it off/on all fall and love it. Although, it cools the air when it dehumidifies, right now it's taking the excess Halide heat out too.But when full winter hits I dunno how it will be

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 AM

Argentiner is on a distinguished road

Where did you guys get your HVR? I too have a plumber friend that could probably install it, so I could save a bit there. How much was the unit itself? I see a danby dehumidifier unit on kijiji but it has terrible reviews.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Air Pro heating and air conditioning is installing my unit. $2300 installed.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:12 AM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

We use a Danby that we bought at Home Depot a couple of years ago. You can plumb it right into a drain if you like, but we just dump the container when it fills with water. Really simple and easy unit to use, just plug in and go.
I'd definitely look at getting something soon. When we had excess humidity in our house, it lead to mold growing under the carpets, and then it crept up into the drywall in a few spots. Ripping out drywall all around the basement in your house is not fun!
HRV's are definitely the best way to go from all the research I did, but are quite expensive compared to a dehumidifier.

Last edited by ponokareefer; 10-13-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 AM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokareefer View Post
We use a Danby that we bought at Home Depot a couple of years ago. You can plumb it right into a drain if you like, but we just dump the container when it fills with water. Really simple and easy unit to use, just plug in and go.
I'd definitely look at getting something soon. When we had excess humidity in our house, it lead to mold growing under the carpets, and then it crept up into the drywall in a few spots. Ripping out drywall all around the basement in your house is not fun!
HRV's are definitely the best way to go from all the research I did, but are quite expensive compared to a dehumidifier.
I think your reference to expensive is relative. How much time and dollars have you spent ripping out drywall and carpets to fix the mold and rot. HRV's are preventative, so the money you spend now, will hopefully mean you don't have to fix later. Just my opinion and the reason I got one, even though the wife didn't want to spend the $$$$'s.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk