Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM

BlueAbyss is on a distinguished road
Default Where'd my red fuzz go?

Hmm, so something wierd happened overnight...

When I looked at my rock yesterday before lights out, there was a lot of burgundy colored coverage that had grown over the past 2 weeks. I liked it because it allowed me to see the 'pods scurrying around. There was also some red fuzz (which I've been told is evil) in spots.

So, I get up today, and turn the lights on, and sit down to wake up a bit. I glance at the tank... and notice my rock is really white. Looked like it had sand on it, covering the dark growth. I look a little closer and... whoa, all the red and burgundy stuff is gone! Mostly gone, anyhow... and the 'pods that I used to see running around all over seem to be mostly gone too, though I have noticed them slowly reducing in population anyhow. Some of the red fuzz has replaced itself with green fuzz (I noticed this change happening last weekend), but all other chunks of red fuzz is gone.

I have 2 theories... The first is that the tank has matured and the environment has changed enough to make a poor environment for 'pod and whatever kinds of algae those were. The second is that my lone tiny blue legged hermit devoured the algae over the past 12 hours (he is currently cleaning the other rock that is in there), removing the 'pods favorite home (or eating the 'pods too).

Any ideas? It's sort of disconcerting to have any overnight changes in any tank, let alone such a major change in my new reef. Should I worry? I will be doing a round of testing today to see if anything has changed, just in case.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:51 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

usually Cyano will amlost disappear overnight, but will be back at the end ofthe day. The lights make it grow, fast. If it's back tonight, you know, try lights out, even a blanket over the tank, for 3 days.

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-18-2009, 06:53 PM

Okay, so it was cyano? I thought cyano was sort of translucent?

I suspected something like this, but cyano seems to sort of... take over people's tanks? This stuff was really slow growing, like it took 2 weeks to cover a square inch.

EDIT: Looking a little harder, I notice that some of the burgundy stuff is still in the deep holes and crevices in the rock. Just small spots of it though, the surface has been cleaned clear of it.

Last edited by BlueAbyss; 06-18-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

I can't say if it is or not Cyano, but other algaes will act the same too. And Cyano can take a while to start. it usually does ion my tank too. Slowly, little patch in corner, then after 2 months, if i am not on top of it... BAM

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 PM

Alright, good to know... I guess I'll look for some pics of cyano and try to determine if that's what it was. I'll just have to get used to stuff spontaneously appearing and disappearing in my tank...

Soon I shall truly be neurotic... 'What's that in my tank?'... The next day 'Oh, no worry, it's gone.'... Then, 'OMG a crab!'

Should be an interesting summer
Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

That last post is hilarious.

I also agree it is cyano.

SPS fanatic.