Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 05-21-2009, 04:13 PM

Oxymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Copperband not doing well

My poor copperband didn't eat yesterday.
I checked the water and all parameters test normal. All other fish are healthy. There has been no new additions to the tank or tank maintenance done. He has good coloration and no visible parasites.
The last water change was 3 weeks ago.
He was eating very aggresively and swimming normal 2 days ago. I have had him for 2 months.
This morning, after not eating last night, he was laying on the bottom of the tank. I have pulled him off the powerhead once this morning.
Is there any thing I can do? Hes not looking good and seems very weak.
I do have a fishless 50 gal with a pile of aptasia in it. Should I consider putting him in there to try to get him eating.
Could this be an example of cyanide poisoning?
I know the moral opinion of most about keeping these fish in captivity and am looking for advice in saving him.
Thanks
Adam

Last edited by Oxymoron; 05-21-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:38 PM

targa81 is on a distinguished road

I'm afraid your copperband is likely doomed. IME, once these guys lay on the bottom and get sucked onto a powerhead they are not going to survive.I think the stress of moving him would likely finish him off as well. Some people might advise you to euthanize the fish but I never have the heart to do that. If your parameters are ok then there is nothing likely you can do. I find copperbands one of the hardest fish to keep.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM

Its a shame. He was feeding so well, I was hoping he would defy the odds.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

I agree with Targa. Im sorry about your fish, but it seems to happen all too often with CBB's.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:56 PM

Is the move to the 50 gal worth a shot? Or is it too late
Old 05-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron View Post
Is the move to the 50 gal worth a shot? Or is it too late
Honestly I think its too late, but it might be a good idea to do it, that way he can die in peace and he will be easy to find after hes gone.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties

If he is going to die any ways, why not try to put him into the other tank. At least you tried everything at that point. I wish I had further advise for you. I have had mine for six months and he is still going strong. What has yours been eating just out of curiosity? I feel my success with mine has been the puffer food I make for my porc. It is a combination of clams, mussels, squid, cuttlefish, shrimp and octopus, blended in a food processor with garlic and selcon. My CBB does eat mysis but he really seems to enjoy the puffer food. Perhaps it has some sort of nutrient in it that other CBBs may not be getting. I had a cleaner wrasse that I ended up giving away that was fat and robust from this food, and my Regal angel goes nuts for it as well.

I very often read that these fish are fine and suddenly die. Maybe it is due to malnutrition... I really don't know though. It is just a point to ponder since I really have no clue as to why I have been so fortunate with my hard to keep fish.

Really sorry about your CBB, they are beautiful fish.