Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-07-2009, 05:30 PM

yeahitsgotahemi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to yeahitsgotahemi
Default Red Deer Reefer

Hey Everyone, Im new to reefkeeping and just wanted to say im incredibly excited to get started with it. I am purchasing all my equipment thru my LFS!!! There the only guys selling salt water in red deer!!!! Anyone have any advice on live Rock? I have a 90 gallon, reef rdy tank, with a 30 gallon sump!

Last edited by Aquattro; 04-26-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

Have fun! I will let the EXPERTS answer the rest for you. Yippee another one!
And welcome, sounds like a nice size tank to start with!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks!!! I have purchased 4 books and read them from cover to cover. They are 500 ways to be a better salt water keeper, Idiots guide to salt water fish, The complete reef aquarium, and The New Encylopedia of marine reef. These are all fascinating books. I have got a very good understanding of what needs to be done. My biggest questions still arise with the brand new live rock and starting out. If anyone can answer this for me it would be very helpful. this is whats happening.

I am going to buy approx 100 pounds of Live Rock, This rock has been cycled in a tank now for maybe a month or more. The substrate i plan on using is going to be about 3 inches deep. Will be crushed coral and argonite, the stuff out of the bag with no biological bacteria in it. The water i want to use is going to be roughly 50-60 percent water change water from my LFS. Is this going to work? I dont really understand if im supposed to put all 100 pounds in the water at once, or build my way up to like 150 pounds? Im a little confused about the initial startup. From what i have been reading if i put the water in the tank, put the rock in the tank, and dump the sand in. Within a few days it should be ready to test run a chromis?

Last edited by Aquattro; 04-26-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned

Ohh! Word of caution about the water, I would seriously ? it. It may have its own problems. Wait till you hear from someone with experience. Yikes! I am a chicken
though so what do I know. Slow is best, I think
Old 03-07-2009, 06:02 PM

MikeP is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef,

It sounds like your on the right track for a quicker cycle but still your tank will cycle and the bottom line is to not add anything until your water parameters are all in check. No point in sentencing a chromis to his death if your ammonia is sky high. Test your water with test kits not fish. You might want to stay away from crushed coral for substrate, it can lead to problems down the road. Look into sand instead if you want that type of look. You could add all your rock at once and do the aquascaping the way you want it. If 100 pounds doesn't leave much room for fish to swim and coral placement you can put some of it in the sump. Does your sump have more than one compartment, could you have a refugium down there?

These are just my opinions,

HTH

Mike

Last edited by MikeP; 03-08-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Heres the pic of my tank, and Sump. I would really like as much advice on what people think. This is going to be my first attempt. and i dont want to be doomed to failure. i would only every put a chromis in there after i tested water parametres to make sure ammonia and nitrates and nitrites were low
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01111.jpg (32.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01114.jpg (40.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01110.jpg (34.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Mike, quick question what if the water has been treated with meds etc. Is it still okay
to use? Has the water, maybe been sitting around for awhile.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:13 PM

The water will be freshly pumped out of the show tank into buckets then transported to my house. I dont think the water has been treated because there is live coral, and lots of finnicky star fish and other hard to keep marine life in the tank. Sea Slugs, Starfish, cobberband butterflys, etc
Old 03-07-2009, 06:46 PM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
Mike, quick question what if the water has been treated with meds etc. Is it still okay
to use? Has the water, maybe been sitting around for awhile.
I know you asked Mike the question but to answer if the water was treated with meds then you should not use it to try to quicken your cycle, as the meds would probably be detrimental to the bacteria you are trying to grow.