Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > British Columbia > Lower Mainland

Old 02-05-2006, 04:38 AM

Stab_Master_Arson is on a distinguished road
Default Vancouver Area blackout.

As we know, various areas power has been going on and off all day. I had the power off between 3:30 and 9:30 PM/ Luckily when I got home, the water temp had only dropped a couple degrees and I quickly remedied that by adding a little bit of hot water to the tank.

Just wondering how many people experienced similar troubles...especially people with smaller tanks. How do you do about heating your tanks when the power is off?
Old 02-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

I heard that North Burnaby (J&L was closed because of no power), East Van, & West End were all experiencing blackouts due to high winds knocking down trees all night. 100,000 people without power in the Lower Mainland.

Anthony
Old 02-05-2006, 09:28 AM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Oh yes, and it was FUN driving through coquitlam this morning with NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS *recounts the ordeal in horror*

luckily we didnt loose any power... fishies (including our 50+ newly hatched clowny babies) were safe.

-Diana

Old 02-05-2006, 10:12 AM

nanoreefer is on a distinguished road

iam woried about my tanks when the power gos out sence they are all under 10g(a 10g 5g hex, 2.5 and an azoo) but i gess if the power gos out i can just float some hot water in a bagie or somthing i hope......
Old 02-05-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoreefer
iam woried about my tanks when the power gos out sence they are all under 10g(a 10g 5g hex, 2.5 and an azoo) but i gess if the power gos out i can just float some hot water in a bagie or somthing i hope......
Yeah man, that 2.5 would be cold in like 10 mintes. Floating some hot water in a bag would work. My tank was without heat for atleast 4 hours since I didnt get home until around 8. The nieghbor said the power went out around 3:30. Shaw goes out at about 11:30 and I am without cable and the internet until just recently. I hate the wind.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana
Oh yes, and it was FUN driving through coquitlam this morning with NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS *recounts the ordeal in horror*

luckily we didnt loose any power... fishies (including our 50+ newly hatched clowny babies) were safe.

-Diana

People are insane when the traffic lights go out. While going down lougheed on the way to coquitlam a few of the lights were out. My girlfriend commented that people must take "idiot pills" during blackouts because nobody seemed to understand the concept of 4-way stops and not making left or rigth turns if they don't have to....The lights were fine down the road. they could have waited to turn then and then backtracked up a side road but nooooo, they have to turn now and hold up a few thousand cars.

"OH NO, NO TRAFFIC LIGHTS...THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

But glad to see that you clownies are alright.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Geez, you folks in Vancouver are having a lousy winter First you had all that rain (and you didn't even get the satisfaction of breaking the record!), mudslides causing death, now blackouts

Glad everyone is okay there

Our winter has been unreal in another sense. Almost no snow, waaaaay above normal temperatures since November. I'm afraid we're in for one heck of a fire season once spring hits unless we get mega precipitation in the coming weeks

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 02-05-2006, 06:02 PM

Diana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly
(and you didn't even get the satisfaction of breaking the record!), mudslides causing death, now blackouts

Oh no, didn't you hear!? We DID break the records baby! By like 1 cm or something! Woo woo!

*so proud*

-Diana

Old 02-05-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse_Fanatic
I heard that North Burnaby (J&L was closed because of no power), East Van, & West End were all experiencing blackouts due to high winds knocking down trees all night. 100,000 people without power in the Lower Mainland.

Anthony
Yep, I showed up at J&L around 11am. The whole complex was out. We then went for sushi and it was packed, probably filled with powerless people.