Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 01-31-2005, 08:04 PM

cag is on a distinguished road
Default breeding percs

I picked up a couple of black and white percula clowns a few weeks ago. I put them in my 12 gallon eclipse quarentine tank with a little bta to settle them down and they are doing well. One is twice the size of the other and they were from different shipments so I know they are unrelated, and would like to get them breeding. The smaller one has been in the BTA a lot and seems to be trying to ge the larger to join him. Info on the net is pretty vague. Some says they will need a pretty big tank all thier own, others say it is so easy, but don't say what to do. They are incredibly beautiful fish, any ideas on the best way to encourage them to breed successfully. Tank size, light, diet, tankmates? .
Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2005, 08:26 PM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Just a question but where did you get these black and white percs. Ive been to almost everystore in calgary almost every week and never saw find black and white ones. And rarly even found true percs in general. Could you maybe post a pic.

Back in the good ole days
Old 02-01-2005, 02:30 AM

My main home computer is down this week, so I can't download pics from my camera for a few days, but the markings and fins are all where they should be. They look a lot like the one in this pic from saltwaterfish.com but mine are darker black where this one is a bit redish. check out pic at

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=223&parent_category=4 &category_search=61&root_parent_id=4&PHPSESSID=4c0 23fb75aab524be5167d3f6109fe45[/img]
Old 02-01-2005, 04:38 AM

chrisd is on a distinguished road

I've got a book by Martin Moe called something like "Breeding Marine Fish with emphasis on Marine Clown Fish". I'm going to be lending it to Jonathan as soon as I can find it because his skunks are breeding. The book tells you pretty much how to do everything going into as much detail as what color your aquarium background should be. He based it off the Instant Oceans hatchery design in the 70's. They were the first to successfully breed clowns on a scale large enough for commercial distribution. It's got a step by step how to and will answer all your questions and then some! Highly recommended.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:49 AM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

You should definalty pick up "Clownfish" By Joyce D. Wilkerson. It is very detailed how to pair and breed both Amphrion (sp?) and maroon clownfish. Even tells you how to culture food for your fry and gives you recipies (sp?) to get your adults into breeding conditions. I have a copy here and absoloutly stick by it.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:48 AM

Thanks, I will look for those books, when you find the exact title of the one let me know. A friend helped me download a couple of picks. Sorry my camera is not that great. but here they are, (if this works). If not they are in the member galleries under my profile. Thanks much I will take any advice possible.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:23 AM

Sorry to tell you but i dont think those are percs maybe sebae
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=151

Old 02-01-2005, 02:24 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarolisol
Sorry to tell you but i dont think those are percs maybe sebae
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=151
Sorry Sean they are most definately Saddleback Clowns.(Amphiprion polymnus)
They are sometimes called the black percula but its not really correct.
See this thread for pictures...

http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13967
Old 02-01-2005, 04:07 PM

Yeah muck your right at least i was half right. I knew sebae didnt have a third strip but i couldnt figure out what else it could be.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:10 AM

Defintely looks like some of those pictures, thanks. I had actually looked up saddlebacks and compared them, but only found pictures of the regular ones with only one and a half strips, and little or no black. The three even strips thing had me believing the guy who sold them to me that they were percula. I still like them, and want to try to breed them, so I will keep gathering information and see if I can get it to work. Do you know if they (saddlebacks) have been bred much in captivity?