Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-28-2009, 05:07 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road
Default Where to buy a Lizard (Vanc.)

My son has been showing us that he is becoming more responsible and would like a lizard. We are still trying to decide on the type, I vote for Leopard Gecko but he is a light sleeper and it's nocturnal behavior might not mesh. We bought a tall 25gal tank at PetCetetera sale. Where might be the best place to buy the actual lizard. I know PetSmart has them but I would hesitate to buy a fish there, should I be as concerned with a lizard?

Thanks for any input.

Joe.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:18 PM

levi1803 is on a distinguished road

Leopard Gecko's and fat tailed Gecko's are probably one of the best for 1st time Lizard owners and the 25 gallon tank should be fine for either of these types. They breed in captivity quite often so you may actually find one from someone locally via some type of reptile association or something. Bearded dragons are quite nice and fairly easy to look after IMO, but the 25 gallon tank wouldn't be even close to the space they would need.

Good luck
Old 03-28-2009, 06:44 PM

justinl is on a distinguished road

Don't buy from chain pet stores... generally lesser quality than breeders. I would suggest buying/adopting from a shelter such as here (doesn't look like they have any leopard geckos though)...
http://www.reptilerescuerichmond.org/special.htm

...or buy from a breeder. check out this local reptile forum (quite a few breeders and reputable sponsor vendors here)...
http://dasnakes.com/bcrc/

Leopard geckos are great first choices if you're okay with keeping live crickets all the time. I'm lizard sitting for my brother and personally, i find the crickets to be the most annoying bit. I know they're not for everyone, but have you considered a snake? A cornsnake eats thawed frozen mice (a lot easier to keep than live food obviously) and is very undemanding yet very beautiful and rewarding as a pet. I got a hatchling cornsnake from a breeder on the above forum...
http://www.rrrcorns.com/index.htm
Old 03-28-2009, 07:28 PM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

Thank Justin,

Great info, just the type of thing I was looking for.

Joe.

Foxface, Naso, Coral Beauty, 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, Orange Anthias, and Striped Goby.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:39 PM

cav~firez22 is on a distinguished road

Aquatic Addictions also has a large selection of reptiles i saw last time i was in there
Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM

levi1803 is on a distinguished road

I know there are a lot of people feeding canned crickets now, not sure how they compare to live though.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:16 AM

midgetwaiter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinl View Post

Leopard geckos are great first choices if you're okay with keeping live crickets all the time. I'm lizard sitting for my brother and personally, i find the crickets to be the most annoying bit.
There is ample evidence to support mealworms as being a better diet than crickets long term and they are definitely easier to deal with. When I was breeding I had no issues with the all worm approach.

Get yourself a good book, the Leopard Gecko Manual from Advanced Vivarium Systems and Ron Tremper is by far the best one.

http://www.amazon.ca/Leopard-Gecko-M...8307194&sr=8-1

Outside of breeding season they don't really make much noise at night.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:42 AM

High tide is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
There is ample evidence to support mealworms as being a better diet than crickets long term and they are definitely easier to deal with. When I was breeding I had no issues with the all worm approach.

Get yourself a good book, the Leopard Gecko Manual from Advanced Vivarium Systems and Ron Tremper is by far the best one.

http://www.amazon.ca/Leopard-Gecko-M...8307194&sr=8-1

Outside of breeding season they don't really make much noise at night.
Meal worms have a hard exoskeleton and are hard to digest, this can lead to impaction. There are many other types of worm/grubs like waxworms,silkworms,butterworms etc. that will be better long term. It is best for your reptile to vary it's food anyway.

I don't know when Cricket breeding season would be, since they breed all the time.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road

There is no way that a meal worm can supply everything the gecko needs nutritionally unless you are gut loading it with a broad spectrum of foods, = PIA. It would be better off feeding a variety of insect prey to the animal.

Beardies are not on the new BC banned exotics list, see link.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...s/species.html