Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-07-2008, 01:05 AM

Boomboy is on a distinguished road
Default Boom's 60G total Reef

Well not long after I got my 20G i wanted to go bigger but i couldn't go to big because of the space and not owning my own home. so i went with a 60G nice dimensions and its rimless, exactly what i wanted. Tank dimensions are 48x16x19, now if i could just get the picture thing to work out for me.
close up of corners

and just for fun my fishtank as of now pretty much . OH AND IF someone wants a frag of those green shrooms in the middle let me know for really cheap. i saved them from another tank and i dont really want that many.5 months old with 1 move in her.

I will keep people posted, and any suggestions are welcomed. a few things that im not sure about is my return pump which one to use and well thats it so far, and sitting on the table about how to build my sump.

Last edited by Boomboy; 09-30-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:59 AM

scorpio73 is on a distinguished road
Default pump

quiet zone pumps are good pumps thats what i ve used for 3 year on my uvand return dont hear them at all
Old 06-08-2008, 11:43 PM

Here is my check list of things to do still.
1. Buy sump tank, and put baffles into sump.
2. Buy overflow box, and hook up plumbing.
3.Decide and buy return pump, and hook up return loclines.
4. Hook up lights to hand over tank.
5. Paint back of tank.
6. Buy remaining equipment.

Equipment list

1. AGA 60G check
2. Custom DIY stand check
3. 60 Pounds of sugar sand.
4. Lumen Max 3 pendant check
5. 250W Icecap electronic ballast check
6. Hamilton 14k bulb check
7. Euroreef Rs100.
8. Return pump??? quietone 4000H or mag 12
9. Overflow CPR CS102 or Cs150 Model, not sure which one, but i want it to handle enough flow, if someone could really help me with one i need, that woulbe be awesome, cause im kinda stuck on this, as ive never had a sump before.
10. 2 Koralia 4 powerheads. one check
11. Misc other things , that i will get after i have set up the tank for a while.such as night leds, phosban reactors, ph and salinity monitors.

Well for my sump i want to go 36" long and 12 wide, with 16 to 18 high, but im not sure how much gph i need on the return pump to get some good flow. im going to have 4 locline returns, so i want to get good pressure out of each of them. any ideas?

and also does anyone want a frag of these for cheap, i want to get an idea how many people in edmonton would want some.

Last edited by Boomboy; 06-12-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 AM

So after looking over Jdigital's tank journal and finding a link to an overflow set up, it made me think about what i was doing i was going just to use a CPR overflow box, but i really dont want to much sound, and im not sure how noisy these things are. im also limited to not drilling my tank, so is there really any other options out there for me, please chime in anyone thanks.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

How much flow do you want through your sump? Figure that out first and then you can determine which pumps would be suitable! I'm using a Hydor Seltz L35, and it's only giving me about 250GPH through my sump....which is great for me

The tank looks great, btw. Very nice attention to detail.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 06-12-2008, 04:57 AM

i think i want to get around 600gph (being the low end) to 800gph. im leaning more towards the 800gph, and the rest of the flow is powerheads 2x koralia 4, i also have a Kora 2 that i might use to for any dead spots. also does anyone know if this is a good skimmer or not? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Protei...duct_info.html
It's rated for 125G but with my sump it will only come to a 90G system, and im guessing that heavy stocked it can handle from 60G to 80G somewhere in between. any help would be great thanks again.
The build has come to a slow creep now. Ive been to walmart to get krylon fusion white and they never have it, always all the other colours. My back and my tubing except the lighting supports will be white, even plan on painting my locline white to blend in. ( they are black to help with algea, but im ok with that for the over all look). so waiting on that to paint the back and planning out my plumbing as of now.

Last edited by Boomboy; 06-12-2008 at 05:08 AM.