Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default How big can I go while keeping the same light?

Well, I mine as well start preparing and getting info. together for my new tank. I am not in a major rush to get it going, but I'd like it up within the next 3-4 months or so. I don't want to upgrdae too big, because I just don't have the room, but anything is better than the current 20g setup.

I want a cube, I know that much... but I wanted to know, how deep could I go and what general size cube (in gallons) could I go while still keeping only 1x150w HQI over the cube? I do not want to upgrade lights.. I don't want to have to spend too much, I am doing this mainly for the fish, for more room to swim, and more room for corals as well.

I do keep SPS , all acros basically. Thanks in advance , I am looking forward to planning out this setup. It will be basic.. just as my 20g, sumpless and no refugium.. I may make an AC500 fuge though.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

If it were me, with that light, I think I'd limit it to maybe 20x20 or mmmmmmaybe 24x24 sized footprints. Just MY preference though, not saying it's right or wrong or better or worse or anything like that.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:10 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

I personally wouldn't go over 20-22" deep with a 150W, but that's just me. A 20x20x20 or 22x22x22 cube would look pretty sweet.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:13 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

FWIW - On my 37 Cube (18Wx20Lx24T) I am running 250Watts, I almost wish that I bought a 400W as I find the light intensity really drops off about half way down the tank.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Hmm, I think a 20x20x20 would look cool as well... but I am wondering if the light would penetrate well, seeing as this is in a flood lamp . I don't have a big reflector using this.. hmmm... I definitely want to be able to have a good penetration for SPS and such.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:02 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well, two things come to mind... 1) You don't have to have your height the same as the footprint dimensions. I.e., maybe 24x24x20 or something like that. What height is your 20g right now? Or do you want to go to a higher tank anyhow. 2) If funds are an issue, maybe get the tank first, but budget for a light upgrade in the soon after. I'm sure the light would at least bridge you over the interim.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 PM

Hmm, well I am not too sure of the height of my 20g. I do know it's just a standard 20g, but I still don't know the dimensions The height.. I'd like to make a little higher than what I have now.. maybe a few inches higher.. that's about it.

Funds are not so much an issue if I can do this without the light upgrade haha. I just wanted to keep most of what I have for the most part...

Can you guys help me out in deciding where to go to get the cube built? Quality and price.. and does anyone know how much the cost goes up if I wanted to use starfire on the front pane??

Sorry for all the questions