Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-24-2010, 02:42 AM

RyanJ is on a distinguished road
Default PH, dK and Calc Problems.. any help would be nice!

Hey there guys.. So i have a slight problem with my water.. If anyone has experienced this please let me know what you did to fix it!
My PH is 8.0 But my dK is close to 380 mg/l (21.0 dHK) and my calcium was < 300ppm I have corrected the calcium.. but I have no idea how to bring down the dHK.. Dose anyone know how to bring this parameter down?? without causing a huge PH issue??
I have heard the Carbonated soda will drop the dHK.. But wont that effect the PH as well??

Tank Info
125G FOWLR tank & a 15g nano.. on the same system!
PH 8.0
dHK: 21.0
Calcium: 450ppm Was under 300PPM but adjusted!
I haven't tested the rest in ages..
What started me on this wonderful adventure, I bought a Neptune apex and i have been trying to Get my PH to 8.3 using eight.four from aquavitro (Seachem) And Balance, Witch is meant to bring up the PH without effecting the dKH... But When i get it to 8.3, it drops right back down to 7.5-8.0 overnight! is there anything im missing here???

Thanks for the help guys~!!
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Hey there guys.. So i have a slight problem with my water.. If anyone has experienced this please let me know what you did to fix it!
My PH is 8.0 But my dK is close to 380 mg/l (21.0 dHK) and my calcium was < 300ppm I have corrected the calcium.. but I have no idea how to bring down the dHK.. Dose anyone know how to bring this parameter down?? without causing a huge PH issue??
I have heard the Carbonated soda will drop the dHK.. But wont that effect the PH as well??

Tank Info
125G FOWLR tank & a 15g nano.. on the same system!
PH 8.0
dHK: 21.0
Calcium: 450ppm Was under 300PPM but adjusted!
I haven't tested the rest in ages..
What started me on this wonderful adventure, I bought a Neptune apex and i have been trying to Get my PH to 8.3 using eight.four from aquavitro (Seachem) And Balance, Witch is meant to bring up the PH without effecting the dKH... But When i get it to 8.3, it drops right back down to 7.5-8.0 overnight! is there anything im missing here???

Thanks for the help guys~!!

first things first sit back and take a slow look at what your doing your trying to correct things with a quick answer sometimes its easier to just go slow and fix problems slowly.

i wouldnt worry about your ph tooo much 8.0 isnt that bad and its expected to drop and fluctuate threoughout the night.so trying to keep it stable is sometimes a losing battle and to be honest not many people worry to muich as long as your not constantly in the high or low its when you add things to correct it thats when youll get problems all that stuff you add has to have some effect on your systems balance.

is your system already fully stocked???? i would think about doing some large water changes to get your levels corrected out with the wrong water params and in with the new.

how did you raise your calcium??
Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

what test kit are you using for alkalinity??

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:42 AM

I have been doing some watcher changes... 50G so far! 25 G for the last 2 days! But I i know what your saying! And i did test me Mag, and it was 800 with a Elos kit, and for the dHK, I was useing Elos, and a hagart or whatever there name is! And i did add some Seachem aquavitro (Ion), Like a full bottle lol! I need to test again tomorrow! and the system is stocked lol,
Clown trigger
Huma Huma trigger
Asfer Angel
Zebra Eal
Lunar Wrasse
Potters Angel
Carpet anemone
and a breeding pair of clowns!
100lb live rock
So it is kinda stocked, would large water changes Cause New Tank Syndrome??
Old 12-24-2010, 03:49 AM

Edmonton newbie is on a distinguished road

thats gotta be a fowlr system so why are you getting stressed about the cal and mag??? stabilize the system and watch
Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 AM

The 15g thats attached is a Coral tank, Has some zoa and mushrooms, I have a 150WHQI on it, Im trying to get things right, and Learn what I am doing wrong, so when i wanna put corals in the other tank, I will not kill them all lol! Plus.. isnt a hobby to keep yourself busy.. I am trying to make it right, and keep it that way! but its much harder then I thought!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:01 AM
R.I.P.

test for mag if your calcium was that low then your mag was probably low as well if your magnesium is not high enough your cal or dkh could rise really high while the other falls really low if your magnesium is low you can correct it using epson salt cheers
Old 12-24-2010, 04:43 AM
R.I.P.

heres a link with some helpful information

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...AA827w&cad=rja