Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 PM

bwi7 is on a distinguished road
Default More than one type of clowns in a tank??

Hi need some advice,
Just purchased an already established 180gal tank, once everything has cycled, and we're ready to transfer our corals and fish from our 90gal to the new tank, plus the original fish from the tank (currently in our spare tank). Waiting till we can introduce everyone at the same time. Our question is, we have three percula's roughly 7 or 8 years old in our current tank, and we have some newly aquired anenomes, can we introduce a different type of clown into the tank at the same time? Ones that might be attracted to the Sebea and/or long tentacle anenome.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM

Doo is on a distinguished road

My Gold stripe maroon would not tolerate it...

if you have a pair it might be a little difficult.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 PM

reef_to_reef is on a distinguished road

I dont think it would be a good idea, if your clowns are that old I dont think they will like any other clowns comming in the tank, I tried it with my clowns and didnt work out well. You have a much larger tank tho so it could work !
Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 AM

no_bs is on a distinguished road

We thought it would work, each on their own side of the tank (in a 5ft with center island) but eventually had to remove the one pair, as they were picked on.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:51 PM

bwi7 is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the advice

That's pretty much what we thought, we were just hoping that with this 6' tank they might stay in their own territory. Oh, well. Anyone had any luck introducing a couple of different tangs in a tank at the same time?
Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

well, i start with a pair false perc in my 150 gallon on the right hand side and then in couple months I put pair of Black Onyx True Percula on the left and a Tomato clown in the middle. The reason i can do this because I bought them along with their anomonies/frogspawn host.

For the first couple days, the female of false perc show aggression to true percs but got chased aways because it is 2 vs 1 battle. And now, one pair is on the left and others is on the right. The big clown tomato is in the middle and is the boss, she shows aggression to both pair of clowns when they swim to middle of the tank and eventual chase them back to their hosts. It has been 4 months now and no loss in fin or whatsoever, just a little bit chasing here and there by the clown tomato when dinner time.

I am very happy with my tomato clown because she helps separating these clowns.

Good luck :-)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Not usually a good idea.

Clowns don't seem to tolerate other species, even in a large tank. Percula/False Percs/Skunks may be ok, since they are less aggressive, but most other species are not so friendly to neighbours.

Anthony